1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ferromagnetism help

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to work out how fast I can switch an electromagnet's polarity, assuming I know the properties of the core's material. The magnetization dynamics are described by the Landau-Lifgarbagez-Gilbert equation (dM/dt = -ℽMxHeff + λMx(MxHeff), which is quite a chore to solve, seeing as it uses the effective field Heff, which also has M as one of its variables.

But this book I'm reading, Physics of Ferromagnetism by Sochin Chikazumi, simply uses the applied H field instead of effective H, which makes the equation tremendously easier to solve. The thing is, it does so with no explanation. Is this a valid approach, and what assumptions does it take?

On a side question, the same book describes the relationship between the magnetization vector M and flux density B as B = M + µ0H, whereas wikipedia (can't post link, but the magnetization article ) says it's B = µ0(H + M). How does that work, are the µ's different or something?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Switching polarity of a large electromagnet is almost always limited by the winding. The time constant, of course, is L/R. Trying to force too rapid a change (dI/dt too large) will create an emf that exceeds the breakdown voltage of the windings. The core will most likely follow the coil without slowing you down.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook