Ferromagnetism in an iron disc

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the net magnetic dipole moment of a disc and calculating the magnetic field due to its overall dipole moment by considering it as a loop of wire. The conversation also includes a hint on how to approach the calculation and ends with the confirmation that the problem has been solved with the provided assistance.
samjohnny

Homework Statement

Attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I determined the net magnetic dipole moment of the disc by calculating the number of moles the iron the disc comprises of and hence the number of atoms. Then, by making the assumption that 30% of the magnetic domains, the ones that aren’t aligned, are instead distributed randomly such that the sum of their vector moments yields zero. Then, the net dipole moment is given by taking 70% of the maximum possible dipole moment which is the number of atoms multiplied by the dipole moment of an individual iron atom.
However, for the next part I’m not too sure on how to go about calculating the magnetic field due to the disc’s overall dipole moment. The hint says to consider the disc as being a loop of wire, although it’s not clear to me whether that is for the part that I’m having difficulty with or the subsequent parts on the topic of the wire's current.

Can anyone kindly provide some assistance?

Attachments

• Ferromagnetism.JPG
    Ferromagnetism.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

samjohnny said:
anyone?
OK. You have the dipole moment of the disc. Call it μ (it's a vector).
now, tale a 1-turn loop of wire of the same radius as your disc. If it carries a current I, what is μ for this loop? Obviously, make I such that the two μ's are the same.

Now you have a simple problem of computing the axial B field 10 cam away from the loop's center.

rude man said:
OK. You have the dipole moment of the disc. Call it μ (it's a vector).
now, tale a 1-turn loop of wire of the same radius as your disc. If it carries a current I, what is μ for this loop? Obviously, make I such that the two μ's are the same.

Now you have a simple problem of computing the axial B field 10 cam away from the loop's center.

Thank you very much for the help, I've managed to get the answer.

1. What is ferromagnetism?

Ferromagnetism is a property of certain materials, such as iron, where they can become magnetized in the presence of an external magnetic field. This means that the material will develop a magnetic field of its own, and can attract or repel other magnets.

2. How does an iron disc exhibit ferromagnetism?

An iron disc exhibits ferromagnetism because it is made up of tiny magnetic domains. When the disc is placed in an external magnetic field, these domains align and create a strong magnetic field in the disc, making it a permanent magnet.

3. Can ferromagnetism be turned on and off?

No, ferromagnetism is a permanent property of certain materials. Once a material is magnetized, it will remain magnetized unless exposed to extreme heat or a strong enough magnetic field in the opposite direction.

4. What is the difference between ferromagnetism and electromagnetism?

Ferromagnetism is a property of certain materials, while electromagnetism is a force that can be created by electric currents. While both involve the presence of a magnetic field, ferromagnetism is a permanent property while electromagnetism can be turned on and off.

5. How is ferromagnetism used in everyday life?

Ferromagnetic materials, such as iron, are used in a variety of everyday objects such as magnets, motors, and generators. They are also used in credit cards, computer hard drives, and speakers. Ferromagnetism is also important in industries such as manufacturing and medicine, where it is used in metal detectors and MRI machines.