Fetal Lamb in a Baggie

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award

Main Question or Discussion Point

Scientists have been able to bring fetal lambs to term using plastic bags to replace their normal amniotic sacks and a bit of plumbing to replace the placenta. They hope to do this with premature humans eventually.

Not sure about the placental replacement part since I thought the placenta had some hormonal effects on the fetus, but maybe that's only at earlier stages or for the mother.

Answers and Replies

256bits
Gold Member
For premies, maturing within the sack or outside, the placenta isn't available in either case.
This is not for embryonic development to maturity, as that I would think would be years away.
Even the "placental fluid" is not much more than a saline solution for the sack.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
@256bits -
maturing within the sack or outside, the placenta isn't available in either case.
This does not make sense to me, can you please explain? They are going to supplant/replace the placenta. My take on it, anyway.

256bits
Gold Member
@256bits -

This does not make sense to me, can you please explain? They are going to supplant/replace the placenta. My take on it, anyway.
Presently neonatal intensive care for premature is through an incubation unit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonatal_intensive_care_unit
So it would be a step forward I believe, to have a placenta type care unit.
As this is a prototype and experimental, it's features would change in future use for humans, with more placental features.

Haha haha yes one step closer to:woot: !!!..... Um oh I er yes that is very interesting:wink: