Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fetal Lamb in a Baggie

1. Apr 26, 2017 #1

BillTre

Science Advisor

Scientists have been able to bring fetal lambs to term using plastic bags to replace their normal amniotic sacks and a bit of plumbing to replace the placenta. They hope to do this with premature humans eventually.

Not sure about the placental replacement part since I thought the placenta had some hormonal effects on the fetus, but maybe that's only at earlier stages or for the mother.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2017 #2
    For premies, maturing within the sack or outside, the placenta isn't available in either case.
    This is not for embryonic development to maturity, as that I would think would be years away.
    Even the "placental fluid" is not much more than a saline solution for the sack.

4. Apr 27, 2017 #3

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

@256bits -
    This does not make sense to me, can you please explain? They are going to supplant/replace the placenta. My take on it, anyway.

5. Apr 27, 2017 #4
    Presently neonatal intensive care for premature is through an incubation unit.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neonatal_intensive_care_unit
    So it would be a step forward I believe, to have a placenta type care unit.
    As this is a prototype and experimental, it's features would change in future use for humans, with more placental features.

6. Apr 27, 2017 #5
    Haha haha yes one step closer to:woot: !!!..... Um oh I er yes that is very interesting:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted