1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Few homework questions

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    I'm having some trouble with a few rotational motion problems.

One question says... A wheel 33 cm in diameter accelerates uniformly from 240 rpm to 360 rpm in 6.5 s. How far will a point on the edge of the wheel travel in this time.

Is this asking for the angular displacement or the linear displacement?

The next one says A bowling ball of mass 7.3 kg rolls without slipping down a lane at 3.3m/s. (a) calculate its total kinetic energy. (b) Calculate its angular momentum

I can see how to get the total kinetic energy i think, but how do i find the angular momentum if i dont have the radius or the angular velocity?

Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.There's no linear movement,therefore u should compute the length of the circle the point travels in that time.
    2.As for the last,i may be wrong,but you need the radius...

Daniel.

4. Feb 14, 2005 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The radius of a bowling ball is common knowledge and shouldn't need to be put into the problem. Virtually everybody knows that the radius of a bowling ball is 10.85 cm (plus or minus .05 cm).

Most people do know that, right? :uhh:

BTW, a 7.3 kg bowling ball isn't legal - it's about 44 grams too heavy. Check here for all you want to know about a bowling ball: Bowling Ball Specs

5. Feb 14, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope,Bob,i never did and never will play bowling.:tongue:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?