Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Few maths questions ..??

1. Jul 13, 2016 #1
    i have been trying to learn maths from some basics .. because i had to do programming related to maths which was in my college syllabus ...

i have been trying to narrow it down .. because we lacked proper texts and materials to learn it properly ...

the whole thing sort of looked a bit like this ...

i was wondering about the difference between a differential equations and functions like f(x,y) =

??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Can we narrow this to "how would I recognize a differential equation if I were to encounter one"?

4. Jul 13, 2016 #3
    is it a differential equation ... ?? i am sorry i am new to differential equation too ...

so its a bit like, function in one variable vs a function in two variables...

i am not sure what to google to learn such functions ...

5. Jul 13, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jul 13, 2016 #5
    Nidum ,

thanks for the link ...
    i have few more doubts ...
    the simple differential equations i have encountered .. sorts of looked a bit like this ...

is this a function of one variable or two variables ... ??

differential_equation_answer.png

f_x_y.png

are these differential equations too ??

7. Jul 13, 2016 #6

NascentOxygen

Differential equations are different from the algebraic equations you've earlier encountered. If you google "differential equations" I'm sure you'll find everything you could hope for.

A differential equation might look like this: ##\color{blue}{\frac{dy}{dx}=x+3}##

##\frac{dy}{dx}## is a way of expressing the gradient of the curve, and this equation tells you the gradient of the curve as a function of x. There are an infinite number of curves whose gradients satisfy this equation, those curves being all identical except for their intercept on the y-axis. To specify exactly one of those curves, you just also need to indicate a point lying on it, any point will do.

You have already encountered differential equations, though they were in disguise. Recall this equation of motion: ##v=v_{\scriptsize0}+at##, and remember that acceleration is ##\frac{∆v}{∆t}##,
    so the equation can be written as ##v=v_{\scriptsize0}+\frac{∆v}{∆t}t##,
    or using differentials, as ##v=v_{\scriptsize 0}+\frac{dv}{dt}t##.

So differential equations are not totally new to you, even though this way of writing them is new.

8. Jul 13, 2016 #7
    thanks NascentOxygen ,

very nice explanation ...

the problem i was facing was that since i am not a native english speaker ...i don't always get the terminologies properly ... i might have to google terms like gradient and things like all that to understand what it really means in mathematics terms ...

few more doubts ..
    i am basically trying to understand the difference between these two ..

functions_in_one_variables.png

f_x_y.png

as for differential equations .. i have been making some notes for it in the last couple of days ..so i think i am a bit familiar with differential equations now ..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
  9. Jul 13, 2016 #8

NascentOxygen

The gradient ##\frac{dy}{dx}## is the instantaneous change of y with respect to x

10. Jul 13, 2016 #9
    NascentOxygen ,

thanks a lot ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted