1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Few Mirror Questions

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    I have a few mirror questions. I missed class and didnt get the formulas to do these. If some one could help me out it would be appriciated. The formulas I have in my notes are 1/f = 1/do + 1/di and hi = (ho * di) / do. I dont think I have enough info to use these formulas and im guessinf there is a formula or two I am missing.

1.)A dentist uses a small mirror of radius 55 mm to locate a cavity in a patient's tooth. If the mirror is concave and is held 10 mm from the tooth, what is the magnification of the resulting image?

2.)A production line inspector wants a mirror that produces an upright image within magnification of 7.0 when it is located 18.0 mm from a machine part.
    What is its radius of curvature?

3.)Shiny lawn spheres placed on pedestals are convex mirrors. One such sphere has a diameter of 48 cm. A 12 cm robin sits in a tree 2.3 m from the sphere. Where is the image of the robin? How long is the robin's image?

4.)The image of the moon is formed by a concave mirror whose radius of curvature is 4.41 m at a time when the moon's distance is 3.80 105 km. What is the diameter of the image if the diameter of the moon is 3480 km?

5.)A shaving mirror has a radius of curvature of 33.0 cm. When a face is 11.0 cm away from the mirror, what is the magnification of the mirror?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You really should show your work when posting here. For standard mirror equations, you'll need to do a web search.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?