Unanswered Questions on Units in Grade XI Physics

• Thread starter XuryaX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary: Force/time is not a term that is used frequently in day-to-day life, but it is an interesting concept to contemplate.
XuryaX
I am studying in Grade XI and have started with physics. Its very different from physics in last grade. So here are my questions about few units my tution teacher challenged everyone about.

Homework Statement

i)What is the name of the unit
[tex][Kg][Meter][Second]^{-3}[/tex]

ii) What is [tex]|Acceleration|[/tex]

Homework Equations

i) By doing dimensional analysis we get [tex][M][L][T]^{-3}[/tex] , we may also call this Force/Time. Couldn't find anything bout this unit.

ii)
[tex]|Vector| = Scalar[/tex]
[tex]|Displacement|=Distance[/tex]
[tex]|Velocity|=Speed[/tex]
[tex]|Acceleration| =?[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The above is my try, couldn't do anything further.

Thanks for help.

-XuryaX

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

(i) Looks right. (Are you sure it isn't second-2 ?)

(ii) Acceleration involves something changing ... if you look in your textbook, it should have a discussion and an equation or two for acceleration.

Actually, i just need the name of the physical quantity
MLT-2 is force but is there a name for force/time?

And the Scalar quantity of velocity is called speed, what is the scalar quantity of acceleration?
though we in general use acceleration as ther term in our daily lives.

XuryaX said:
Actually, i just need the name of the physical quantity
MLT-2 is force but is there a name for force/time?

And the Scalar quantity of velocity is called speed, what is the scalar quantity of acceleration?
though we in general use acceleration as ther term in our daily lives.

Well, I'm only speaking for myself, but I've never encountered any specific names for these.

The quantity you described in (i) could be the change in force over time. Again, there's no name I've ever encountered for this, since this isn't something of much interest to name.
The change in force over time.

As for the scalar quantity of acceleration, if I wanted to get my point across, I'd call it the change in the speed, that's unambiguous enough.

Well, these are rather weird questions. I don't know of any single unit name for force/time. Perhaps they mean for you to take the common metric unit of force (which is ____?) and divided it by seconds.

I missed the "absolute value" sign before. I'm not aware of any term associated with |a|.

What is the definition of "few units"?

Few units refer to a small number of individual elements or entities within a larger group or system.

Why is it important to study few units?

Studying few units allows scientists to better understand how specific components contribute to the functioning of a larger system. It also allows for more precise and targeted interventions or treatments.

What research methods are commonly used to study few units?

There are various research methods that can be used to study few units, including experimental studies, case studies, and observational studies. Choosing the appropriate method depends on the research question and the available resources.

What are some potential challenges when studying few units?

One challenge is the potential for results to not be generalizable to the larger system. Additionally, it can be difficult to accurately measure and manipulate a small number of units. There may also be ethical considerations when working with a limited number of individuals or entities.

How can studying few units contribute to scientific advancements?

Studying few units can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms and processes of a larger system. This can lead to the development of new theories and hypotheses, as well as inform evidence-based interventions and treatments. It can also help identify areas for further research.