Few Questions on Newton's Laws

In summary, the man tries to lower himself from a height of 10.6 meters by using a rope and a 60kg sandbag. He starts from rest and his goal is to hit the ground at a slower speed. He has to apply force to the sandbag in order to slow himself down. Newton's second law tells him that the force exerted by the man on the sandbag is equal and opposite to the force of gravity. If he holds onto the rope, he can decrease his speed. If he doesn't hold onto the rope, he will hit the ground at a much faster speed.
sacsac

Homework Statement

An 81 kg man lowers himself to the ground from a height of 10.6 m by holding onto a rope that runs over a frictionless pulley to a 60 kg sandbag.
(a) With what speed does the man hit the ground if he started from rest?

(b) What can he do to make him hit the ground slower?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attempt for part a: no idea... i drew diagram, labeled forces, but can't seem to go beyond that.
attempt for part b: hold the string attached to the sandbag and pull down as he is going downward.

Physics news on Phys.org
sacsac said:
1attempt for part a: no idea... i drew diagram, labeled forces, but can't seem to go beyond that.

If you drew your free body diagram and labeled all the forces, the next step should be to write down Newton's laws. Ultimately, you want to deduce the man's acceleration.

Hint: What must be the relationship between the man's acceleration and the sandbag's acceleration?

both accelerations should be the same shouldn't it? so this is what i have so far...

Sum of forces for m1: Ft - m1g

Sum of forces for m2: m2g - Ft

m1a = Ft - m1g

m2a = m2g - Ft

Ft = m2g - m2a

m1a = ( m2g - m2a ) - m1g

m1a + m2a = m2g - m1g

80a + 60a = 60*9.8 - 80*9.8

140a = -196

a = -1.4 m/s^2? but since the man is going down, and my reference frame for going down for a is positive, should it be 1.4? and if a = 1.4 or -1.4, how do i find the impact velocity? V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax?...

sacsac said:
how do i find the impact velocity? V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax?...

Your original statement of the problem says the man's mass is 81kg, yet you use 80 in your work. Typo? Either way, your work is correct. That equation will do nicely to find velocity. Remember, having acceleration (which is constant in this problem), it's just a kinematics question!

Oh sorry about that. Yes, it forgot it was supposed to be 81. But I redid it and got the right answer! Thank You very much!

1. What are the three laws of motion proposed by Newton?

The three laws of motion proposed by Newton are the law of inertia, the law of acceleration, and the law of action and reaction.

2. What does the first law of motion state?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does the second law of motion relate force, mass, and acceleration?

The second law of motion states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it, and the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration.

4. Can an object be at rest and have a non-zero net force acting on it?

No, according to Newton's first law of motion, an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, if an object is at rest, the net force acting on it must be zero.

5. What is the significance of Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that whenever one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object. This law is important because it explains how forces work in pairs and how they interact with each other.