Help Needed: Stuck on Statistics Final!

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to studying for a Statistics final. The first question asks for the minimum sample size needed to estimate a population mean with a margin of error of 24 and a confidence level of 95%, given a population standard deviation of 234. The second question involves a test for the claim that students score better on exams on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays than on Mondays or Fridays. The test statistic for this claim is the difference between the average scores on Monday and Friday and the average scores on the other days, while the critical value is the value of this test statistic that would be on the boundary of a 95% interval. The conversation also includes a formula for calculating the minimum sample
Red98Stang
I'm currently studying for a Statistics final, and I'm stuck at some problems. I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Question #1

Determine the minimum sample size needed to estimate a population mean with a margin of error of 24 and a confidence level of 95%, if the population standard deviation is 234.

n = ?

Question #2

Professors seem to believe that students score better on exams on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays than on Mondays or Fridays. A sample of the number of A and B grades achieved by a class on various days, Monday through Friday, is 15, 18, 17, 22, 16. A test is made of the claim, at a significance level of 0.05, that A and B grades occur with equal frquency on all days.

What is the test statistic?

What is the critical value?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first just requires that you use the standard formula,
[tex]z= \frac{x-\mu}{\sqrt{n\sigma}}[/tex]
Here that is
[tex]z= \frac{24}{\sqrt{234n}}[/tex]
Using a table of the standard normal distribution, what z corresponds to a (two-sided) value of 0.95? Put that into the equation above and solve for n.

The second problem really just about definitions. The "test statistic" is difference between the average score on Monday and Friday and the average score the other days. The critical value is the value of that test statistic that would be on the boundary of a 95% interval.

What level class is this for?

Because I would think you would want to use the following formula for the first question:

[tex]n = \left(\frac{z \sigma}{ME}\right)^2[/tex]

Where z is your z* or z alpha/2, or whatever it is that your class/book uses, sigma is your population standard deviation, and ME is your margin of error.

Thanks for all the help so far. It's an Intro to Statistics class at my college.

1. How can I improve my understanding of statistics before my final?

To improve your understanding of statistics, you can review your class notes, attend study groups or tutoring sessions, and practice solving problems from previous assignments and exams. You can also utilize online resources such as videos, tutorials, and practice quizzes.

2. What are some common topics that are covered on a statistics final?

Some common topics that are covered on a statistics final include hypothesis testing, probability distributions, descriptive statistics, and regression analysis. It is important to review all of the material that was covered throughout the course.

3. How can I effectively study for a statistics final?

To effectively study for a statistics final, you should create a study schedule and stick to it. Make sure to review all of the material, practice solving problems, and explain concepts to others. It can also be helpful to take breaks and get plenty of rest leading up to the exam.

4. What are some tips for approaching a statistics final?

Some tips for approaching a statistics final include reading the instructions carefully, managing your time effectively, and showing all of your work. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure you understand the reasoning behind each step.

5. What are some strategies for solving difficult statistics problems?

Some strategies for solving difficult statistics problems include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, checking your work as you go, and using formulas and equations as needed. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or professor.