Projectile Launch Angle & Flight Time: Questions Answered

• Thread starter shinystar716
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to use initial and final velocity to find the launch angle of a projectile, as well as the factors that determine the duration of a projectile's flight. These factors may include initial velocity, drag, inclines, and the gravitational constant. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of asking specific questions to receive more helpful answers.
shinystar716
I just have a few quick questions. If I'm given an inital and final velocity how can I use that information to find the launch angle of the projectile? Secondly, having to also do with projectiles, what are the factors which determine how long an object is in projectile flight. I'm pretty sure that the initial velocity and perhaps the mass of the object do. I thought planet's acceleration due to gravity might also. Then I wasn't sure about radius of circular object (i.e. cannonball), or height of cliff - i don't think those could. Help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) You use vectors and kinematics.
2) Initial velocity, drag, inclines, etc. (Why would the mass do anything? Yes the gravitational constant will obviously effect the time in the air.)

I can't do your homework for you because then I would deprive you of some good stuff. If you want better answers you have to be more specific with questions and thoughts to their answers.

Hello, thank you for your questions. To find the launch angle of a projectile using initial and final velocity, you can use the equation:

θ = tan^-1[(vfy-viy)/(vfx-vix)]

Where θ is the launch angle, vfy and viy are the final and initial velocities in the y-direction, and vfx and vix are the final and initial velocities in the x-direction.

As for the factors that determine the flight time of a projectile, you are correct that initial velocity and mass of the object play a role. The planet's acceleration due to gravity, also known as the gravitational constant, is another important factor as it affects the rate at which the object falls towards the ground. The radius of a circular object, such as a cannonball, may also have an impact on flight time as it can affect the object's trajectory and air resistance. The height of a cliff may also play a role, as it can affect the initial velocity of the projectile. I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the relationship between launch angle and flight time?

The launch angle of a projectile directly affects its flight time. The steeper the launch angle, the shorter the flight time will be. This is because a steeper angle results in a higher initial velocity, which allows the projectile to travel a greater horizontal distance in a shorter amount of time.

2. How does air resistance impact the flight time of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the flight time of a projectile. The presence of air resistance slows down the projectile, causing it to take longer to reach its target. This is why projectiles with a smaller surface area and smoother surface experience less air resistance and have a longer flight time.

3. Is there an optimal launch angle for maximum flight distance?

Yes, there is an optimal launch angle for maximum flight distance. This angle is known as the projectile's "angle of projection." The optimal angle of projection depends on factors such as the initial velocity of the projectile and the height of the launch point. In general, for a given initial velocity, a launch angle of 45 degrees will result in the maximum horizontal distance traveled by the projectile.

4. How does the mass of a projectile affect its flight time?

The mass of a projectile does not have a direct effect on its flight time. However, it does affect the initial velocity of the projectile, which in turn affects the flight time. A heavier projectile will require more force to be launched at the same initial velocity as a lighter projectile, resulting in a longer flight time.

5. Can the launch angle and flight time of a projectile be calculated?

Yes, the launch angle and flight time of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion. These equations take into account factors such as the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance to determine the trajectory and flight time of a projectile. Advanced mathematical models and computer simulations are also used to accurately predict the launch angle and flight time of a projectile.