1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Few Simple Questions

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    I have a few questions and I was wondering if someone could check my answers.

1) Given the velocity function [​IMG], find all the times on hte open interval 0<t<3 where the particle changes direction. Justify your answer.

I said, the possible places where this occurs is when v=0. So I solved for v =0, and the only number that matches that domain is approximately 2.5 Are there any other answers I am missing? Is my idea of when the particle changes direction v=0 the entire reasoning to when the particle changes direction? I thought of an instance where v=0 but then particle doesn't change direction but rather keeps going in the same direction. Any help?

2)Suppose a function g is defined by [​IMG] where k and m are constants. If g is differentiable at x=3, what are the values for k and m?

I was usually able to solve this but now there is one extra variable that I do not know how to get rid of. What do I do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2008 #2
    I would also look at the case where v = 0 for I imagine the particle is moving forward when v > 0, moving backward when v < 0 and not moving when v = 0. Clearly v = 0 only when the sine term is 0. Can you give me an exact value for t between 0 and 3 that will make the sine term 0?

Remember that if g'(3) exists, then g is continuous at x = 3. With this additional piece of info., what values of k and m will make g continuous at x = 3?
  4. Nov 30, 2008 #3
    1) [tex]\sqrt{2 * \pi }[/tex]
    2)When k and m are equal?

Are those correct?
  5. Nov 30, 2008 #4
    The first one is correct. The second one is not: Just try it for m = k = 1. Here's a tip: Find the equation of the tangent of k * sqrt{x + 1} at x = 3 and try to manipulate it so that it takes the form mx + 2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?