Few stupid questions about polar curves and stuff

In summary: So, r sin(θ)= (r cos(θ))/(2θ). So, r sin(θ)= (r cos(θ))/(2θ). Thanks for your help.In summary, the slope of the tangent line at (2, pi) is 2/3 and the y-intercept is 4/3.
formula107
Few stupid questions about polar curves and stuff...

Okay, here's the first dumb question. I have to find the tangent line where r=2-3sin(T) at the polar point (2,pi). To find the slope, you just take dy/dx, and I come up with 2/3. I know that part is right.

T=theta (I know it's spelled wrong)

But how do I turn this into an equation for the tangent line? Do I just use y=mx+b? That seems too simple for this, and I would think she would want it in polar coordinates, not cartesian.

Secondly, what (cos2(T))^2. is it 2cos(2T) or 2 cos(4T) or what? I know we learned this like 2 years ago, but I just can't remember anymore.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
formula107 said:
Okay, here's the first dumb question. I have to find the tangent line where r=2-3sin(T) at the polar point (2,pi). To find the slope, you just take dy/dx, and I come up with 2/3. I know that part is right.

T=theta (I know it's spelled wrong)

But how do I turn this into an equation for the tangent line? Do I just use y=mx+b? That seems too simple for this, and I would think she would want it in polar coordinates, not cartesian.

Secondly, what (cos2(T))^2. is it 2cos(2T) or 2 cos(4T) or what? I know we learned this like 2 years ago, but I just can't remember anymore.

Thanks guys!

For the first part,i'm really lazy to check whether your calculations are correct,but the answer is yes,once u got the slope,u simply plug it in an straight line's equation.

[tex] \cos^{2}2\theta=\frac{1+\cos 4\theta}{2} [/tex].

dextercioby said:
For the first part,i'm really lazy to check whether your calculations are correct,but the answer is yes,once u got the slope,u simply plug it in an straight line's equation.

[tex] \cos^{2}2\theta=\frac{1+\cos 4\theta}{2} [/tex].

Sorry man, but I'm still confused on the first part. So if I have a slope of 2/3, would I just make the equation r=2-3sin(2/3)?

The original was r=2-3sin(T)

Thanks again

formula107 said:
To find the slope, you just take dy/dx, and I come up with 2/3. I know that part is right.

There's your first problem: I get -1/3 for the slope of the tangent line at (2, pi). How did you get 2/3?

Once you have the equation of the tangent line in y= mx+ b form, it should be easy to convert to polar coordinates by using x= r cos(θ), y= r sin(θ).

HallsofIvy said:
There's your first problem: I get -1/3 for the slope of the tangent line at (2, pi). How did you get 2/3?

Once you have the equation of the tangent line in y= mx+ b form, it should be easy to convert to polar coordinates by using x= r cos(θ), y= r sin(θ).

Even the book has the answer as 2/3.

I had: 2cos(T)-6sin(t)cos(T) / -2sin(T) -3(cos^2(T)-sin^2(T)), with T = pi I get -2/-3 = 2/3.

HallsofIvy said:

Okay, here's my next problem. Assuming the slope is 2/3, which I sure hope it is, being that that is at -2, the y-intercept would be 4/3, right?

So then I would have y = (2/3)x + 4/3?

How do I convert this to a polar equation? Would I put -2 in for x, and 0 in for y, since that is the cartesian point @ the polar point (2, pi)?

Ah crap, I have have no idea, now I'm lost.

Oops, I dropped the sign from x= -2! Yes, the slope of the tangent line at (2,pi) is, in fact, 2/3. Since we know the line goes through (-2, 0) ((2,pi) converted to rectangular coords), the equation is y= (2/3)(x- 2)= (2/3)x- 4/3 just as you say.

Now, as I said before: " by using x= r cos(θ), y= r sin(θ)"

r sin(θ)= (2/3)r cos(θ)- 4/3.

You can simplify that by solving for r if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are polar curves?

Polar curves are mathematical representations of equations in polar coordinates, which use the angle and distance from a fixed point to plot points on a graph. They are often used to plot curves and shapes that are difficult to represent using traditional rectangular coordinates.

2. How are polar curves different from Cartesian curves?

Polar curves use a different coordinate system, where a point is represented by an angle and distance from a fixed point, rather than by its x and y coordinates. This allows for the representation of curves and shapes that are not easily expressed in rectangular coordinates.

3. What is the difference between polar curves and parametric curves?

Parametric curves use different equations to describe the x and y coordinates of a point, whereas polar curves use a single equation to describe both the angle and distance from a fixed point. This makes polar curves more suitable for representing circular and symmetrical shapes, while parametric curves are better for representing more complex curves.

4. How are polar curves used in real life?

Polar curves have various applications in science and engineering, such as in the design of gears, antennas, and other circular or symmetrical structures. They are also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in the study of natural phenomena like planetary orbits and weather patterns.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar curves?

While polar curves can represent a wide range of shapes and curves, they may not be the best choice for representing more complex or irregular shapes. They also require a good understanding of trigonometry and polar coordinates, which can be challenging for some people to grasp.