1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman -- Atomic dipole

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I am reading the volume 2 of the Feynman's Lectures on Physics, and something is bothering me when he calculates the dipole moment of a single atom induced by an extern field :

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...=onepage&q=feynman dipole single atom&f=false

Indeed, he states that : " p = qex "

But why ? I would use in general : " p = Zqex " where Z is the number of electrons in the atom.

x is the displacement of the center of charges of the electrons, and thus x is also the displacement of each electron.

Could you explain his reasoning ? It is not the first time he uses a single electron charge instead of Z in his calculations, and I do not understand.

Thanks.

PS : First, I thought that was because the square of the natural pulsation ω0 depended on Z, which means that ω²0(Z) = Zω²0 (Z=1), which would simplify the Z replacing ω²0(Z) by Zω²0 (Z=1) ; but Feynman seems to use ω0 = ω0(Z) and not ω0 (Z=1) everywhere, so it does not matter.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2015 #2
    And qe is obviously equal to the charge of an electron and note equal to Z*(charge), because he uses then e² = q²e/4piε0.

Moreover, when he the does his calculations for the Helium atom, he keeps using qe = charge of one electron and does not use a new value for Z..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook