1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman Calculus

1. Feb 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am pretty sure it's been done many times before, but I can't seem to figure it out:

Consider the collision 1 + 2 -> 3 + 4 in the lab frame (2 at rest), with particles 3 and 4 massless. Derive the forumla for the differential cross section

2. Relevant equations
    We have Fermi's Golden Rule for scattering:

[tex] d\sigma = \left|M\right|^{2}\frac{\hbar^{2} S}{4\sqrt{\left(p_1.p_2\right)^{2}-\left(m_{1}m_{2} c^{2}\right)^{2}}} \left(\frac{cd^{3}p_{3}}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}2E_{3}}\right) \left(\frac{cd^{3}p_{4}}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}2E_{4}}\right) X \left(2\pi\right)^{4}\delta^{4}\left(p_1+p_2-p_3-p_4\right) [/tex]

(My god it took a while to type that out!)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I start by figuring out the dot product [itex] p_{1}.p_{2}[/itex]. We get [itex] m_2 \left|p_{1}\right| c[/itex]

So what we have is:

[tex]d\sigma = \left(\frac{\hbar}{8\pi}\right)^{2} \frac{S\left|M\right|^{2}}{m_2 \left|p_{1}\right| c} \frac{d^{3}p_{3}d^{3}p{4}}{\left|p_3\right|\left|p_4\right|} \delta\left(\frac{E_{1}}{c}+m_{2}c-\left|p_3\right|-\left|p_4\right|\right) \delta^{3}\left(p_{1}-p_{3}-p_{4}\right) [/tex]

From here on, I don't quite understand. In the textbook we use (Griffiths), it says to integrate [itex] p_{4}[/itex] which replaces it with [itex] p_{1}-p_{3} [/itex]. So the formula will look like:

[tex]d\sigma = \left(\frac{\hbar}{8\pi}\right)^{2} \frac{S\left|M\right|^{2}}{m_2 \left|p_{1}\right| c} \frac{\delta\left(\frac{E_{1}}{c}+m_{2}c-\left|p_3\right|-\left|p_{1}-p_{3}\right|\right) }{\left|p_3\right|\left|p_{1}-p_{3}\right|} d^{3}p_{3}[/tex]

Now we let:

where [itex]d\Omega=sin\theta d\theta d\phi[/itex]

...And somehow we should get the right answer:

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} = \left(\frac{\hbar}{8\pi}\right)^{2} \frac{S\left|M\right|^{2}\left|p_{3}\right|}{m_2 \left|p_{1}\right| \left(E_{1}+m_{2}c^{2}-\left|p_{1}\right|ccos\theta\right)}[/tex]

Can someone help me out? Thanks!
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2
    Hm... Did I not follow the PF guideline correctly, or is this too long (and/or boring) of a question?

It's frustrating because it seems like I'm only a couple of steps from getting the correct answer, so please help me out if you can. Thanks!
  4. Feb 22, 2007 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write |p1-p3| as sqrt{p1^1+p3^2-2p1p3cos\theta}.
    Then use \delta[f(x)]=\delta(x)/[df/dx]
  5. Feb 22, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, now you still have to integrate over [itex] p_3 [/itex] using the energy delta function. Did you do that?

6. Feb 24, 2007 #5
    I got to the right answer by substituting:

[tex]E = \left|p_3\right| +\left(\left|p_1\right|^2 + \left|p_3\right|^2 - 2\left|p_1\right|\left|p_3\right| cos\theta\right)^{1/2}[/tex]

[tex]dE = \frac{E-\left|p_1\right| cos\theta}{E-\left|p_3\right|}d\left|p_3\right| [/tex]

Then using definition of the delta function as par Meir Achuz, I got safely to the right answer. Thank you to both of you for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?