Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Feynman diagram(s)

1. Jan 7, 2019 #1
    Hi guys,
    And Happy new year :) I am revising for a module on relativistic quantum mechanics currently that I took some time ago.

A large portion of the module, and hence the exam involves drawing Feynman diagrams and computing invariant amplitudes. The part I am a little rusty on is how to know how many diagrams there are for a particular process, and when I must add the two together in order to obtain the invariant amplitude.

Any general advice would be appreciated but I realise this could be a little vague so here is a more concrete example from a past paper.

Consider a spin-1/2 particle ψ of charge q and mass m, and a spin-0 particle φ of the same mass and charge. Draw the lowest order Feynman diagram for the process

ψφ → ψφ

What I am not sure of is whether there is one or two diagrams here that contribute to the invariant amplitude?

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2019 #2

king vitamin

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are these two particles minimally coupled to a U(1) gauge field? (We need to know the precise Hamiltonian you're working with to give an answer)

4. Jan 9, 2019 #3
    Thanks very much for your response. Yes, I think we are supposed to assume so, though this is the full extent of the question with not extra information given.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?