Feynman Diagrams: ψφ → ψφ | Tips & Advice

• I
  • Thread starter Milsomonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feynman
In summary, the conversation is about revising for a module on relativistic quantum mechanics that involves drawing Feynman diagrams and computing invariant amplitudes. The person is looking for advice on how to determine the number of diagrams for a specific process and when to add them together. They provide a concrete example from a past paper and ask for clarification on whether there is one or two diagrams that contribute to the invariant amplitude. They also mention that the particles are minimally coupled to a U(1) gauge field.
Milsomonk
Hi guys,
And Happy new year :) I am revising for a module on relativistic quantum mechanics currently that I took some time ago.

A large portion of the module, and hence the exam involves drawing Feynman diagrams and computing invariant amplitudes. The part I am a little rusty on is how to know how many diagrams there are for a particular process, and when I must add the two together in order to obtain the invariant amplitude.

Any general advice would be appreciated but I realize this could be a little vague so here is a more concrete example from a past paper.

Consider a spin-1/2 particle ψ of charge q and mass m, and a spin-0 particle φ of the same mass and charge. Draw the lowest order Feynman diagram for the process

ψφ → ψφ

What I am not sure of is whether there is one or two diagrams here that contribute to the invariant amplitude?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are these two particles minimally coupled to a U(1) gauge field? (We need to know the precise Hamiltonian you're working with to give an answer)

Thanks very much for your response. Yes, I think we are supposed to assume so, though this is the full extent of the question with not extra information given.

1. What are Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are a graphical representation of mathematical calculations used in quantum field theory to depict the interactions between particles. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s.

2. How do Feynman diagrams work?

Feynman diagrams use lines and vertices to represent particles and their interactions. The lines indicate the paths of particles, while the vertices show where particles interact and exchange energy. By following the rules of Feynman diagrams, physicists can calculate the probability of a particular particle interaction occurring.

3. What is the significance of the ψφ → ψφ notation?

The ψφ → ψφ notation in Feynman diagrams represents the initial and final states of particles involved in an interaction. The ψ symbol represents a fermion particle, such as an electron, while the φ symbol represents a boson particle, such as a photon. The arrow indicates the direction of time in the interaction.

4. Are there any tips for drawing Feynman diagrams?

Yes, there are a few tips that can make drawing Feynman diagrams easier. First, always start with the simplest diagrams and work your way up to more complex ones. Also, make sure to label all particles and interactions clearly. Finally, practice and familiarity with the rules of Feynman diagrams will make drawing them easier and more accurate.

5. How are Feynman diagrams used in physics?

Feynman diagrams are an important tool in theoretical physics, particularly in quantum field theory. They are used to calculate the probability of particle interactions and to make predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles. They are also used in particle accelerator experiments to analyze and interpret data.