Draw Simple Feynman Diagrams w/ Latex, Feynmf & TeXnicCentre

In summary, Feynman diagrams are visual representations of subatomic particle interactions developed by physicist Richard Feynman. LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used for creating scientific documents and diagrams like Feynman diagrams. Feynmf is a LaTeX package specifically designed for creating Feynman diagrams, and TeXnicCentre is an IDE for working with LaTeX documents. While some knowledge of LaTeX is helpful, it is not necessary to know how to code in order to create Feynman diagrams using LaTeX, as there are many resources available for beginners.
Perturbation
Could anyone direct me to a coherent tutorial for drawing simple Feynman diagrams in Latex (I use TeXnicCentre) using the Feynmf package? The only ones I've found are rather complicated, given that I don't have a huge deal of experience with the writing of lengthy 'tex.

Cheers, guys.

[If this isn't the correct forum then I appologise]

Computer science news on Phys.org
The manual to Feynmf is available at CHAN and most likely also in your latex distribution. A tutorial is available at http://hep-www.colorado.edu/~nlc/software/feyntex_ruddick.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

Drawing Feynman diagrams in LaTeX can be a bit tricky, but with the help of the Feynmf package, it can become much easier. Here are some steps to get you started:

1. First, make sure you have the Feynmf package installed on your computer. You can download it from http://www.ctan.org/pkg/feynmf. Once it's downloaded, follow the instructions to install it.

2. Next, open your TeXnicCentre document and add the following code to your preamble:

\usepackage{feynmf}

3. Now you are ready to start creating your Feynman diagrams. Here's a simple example to get you started:

\begin{fmffile}{mydiagram}

\begin{fmfgraph*}(50,50)

\fmfleft{i1,i2} \fmfright{o1,o2}

\fmf{fermion}{i1,v1,o1}

\fmf{fermion}{i2,v2,o2}

\fmf{photon,label=$\gamma$}{v1,v2}

\end{fmfgraph*}

\end{fmffile}

4. Save the document and compile it using LaTeX. You should see your Feynman diagram appear in your document.

5. To add labels or change the style of your diagram, you can refer to the Feynmf package documentation for more details.

As for a comprehensive tutorial, here are a few resources that might be helpful:

- The Feynmf package documentation: http://www.ctan.org/pkg/feynmf
- A tutorial on drawing Feynman diagrams with Feynmf: http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~ntg/780/feynmf.html
- A YouTube video tutorial on Feynmf:

I hope this helps get you started with drawing Feynman diagrams in LaTeX. Best of luck!

What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a visual representation of the interactions between subatomic particles using simple lines and symbols. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman as a way to simplify complex mathematical calculations in quantum mechanics.

What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. It is commonly used for writing scientific papers and reports, as well as creating complex diagrams like Feynman diagrams.

What is Feynmf?

Feynmf is a LaTeX package that allows for the creation of Feynman diagrams directly in LaTeX documents. It provides a set of commands and symbols that can be used to draw simple Feynman diagrams without the need for external programs or graphics software.

What is TeXnicCentre?

TeXnicCentre is an integrated development environment (IDE) specifically designed for working with LaTeX documents. It provides a user-friendly interface and tools for editing, compiling, and previewing LaTeX code, making it easier to create and manage complex documents such as Feynman diagrams.

Do I need to know how to code to create Feynman diagrams with LaTeX?

While having some basic knowledge of LaTeX can be helpful, it is not necessary to know how to code in order to create Feynman diagrams with LaTeX, as long as you have a good understanding of the syntax and the necessary packages. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started with creating Feynman diagrams using LaTeX.