Solving the Homework Equations: What Am I Doing Wrong?

In summary, the equation states that the distance from the focus to the surface that is being diffracted is the same for all rays.
aa_o

Homework Statement

upload_2018-10-15_17-5-19.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

1/s+n/s′=1/f
where
s is distance from source to diffracting surface,
s' is distance from diffracting surface to focus,
f is the focal length,
n is the refractive index.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we have parallel beams, we have s = infinity so the equation reduces to
n/s' = 1/F' <=> s' = n*F'
If our coordinate system is placed so that we have origo at F', we get:
s' = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
inserting and solving for y we get:
sqrt(x^2 + y^2) = n*F'
x^2 + y^2 = (n*F')^2
y = +/- sqrt( (n*F')^2 - x^2 )
But the solution in the book says:
upload_2018-10-15_17-22-31.png

What am i doing wrong?

Also, i notice that my solution is a spherical surface with a radius n*F', but the books solution is ellipsical. From optics we know that it should be a spherical surface, so is the book simply wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-15_17-5-19.png
    upload_2018-10-15_17-5-19.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 499
  • upload_2018-10-15_17-22-31.png
    upload_2018-10-15_17-22-31.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer, but from the diagram it seems that when y = 0, x = F', and that is not a solution to your equation or the book's.

mjc123 said:
I don't know the answer, but from the diagram it seems that when y = 0, x = F', and that is not a solution to your equation or the book's.
I don't think that's right. In the problem the origin is not specified. In the books' solution we have a point at x=0, y=0, so the origin must be on the surface of the lens itself.

aa_o said:
1/s+n/s′=1/f
Isn't that an approximation?
How about you start from first principles and say that the optical path length is the same for all rays?

Likes aa_o and Charles Link
The known result in Optics is that the surface is an ellipse and not spherical for the optical path length to be precisely the same for all rays. And I agree with the book's answer. ##\\ ## There is a simple trick to computing the result for this if you begin with the result that the solution must be an ellipse: The ray that comes in at the very top of the ellipse must also pass through the far focal point of the ellipse, which is located at (c,0) in an x-y coordinate system with (0,0) at the center of the ellipse. By Snell's law ## n \sin{\theta}=1 \sin{90^{\circ}}=1 ##. Using ## \tan{\theta}=\frac{c}{b} ##, where the ellipse is ## \frac{(x-a)^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1 ##, with ## a^2-b^2=c^2 ##, I was able to verify the book's answer within about 5 minutes. ## \\ ## Setting the optical path length, (where the length in the material gets multiplied by ## n ##), equal for all paths to the point ## (F',0) ## would take a little bit of work, but that is what the problem is asking for.

Last edited:
I figured that deriving from first principles would give me the best understanding of the concept.
I did this and came up with the same answer as the book. Thanks for the help guys!

Likes Charles Link

What is the purpose of solving homework equations?

Solving homework equations helps students practice and apply mathematical concepts learned in class. It also helps them identify and correct any mistakes they may have made, improving their understanding and mastery of the subject.

Why am I having trouble solving homework equations?

There could be several reasons for having difficulty solving homework equations. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying concept, not following the correct steps, or making careless errors. It is important to identify the specific issue and address it accordingly.

What should I do if I can't solve a homework equation?

If you are unable to solve a homework equation, go back and review the material. Make sure you understand the concepts and steps involved. If you are still having trouble, seek help from your teacher or a tutor. It is important to address any difficulties before moving on to new material.

Is it okay to use a calculator when solving homework equations?

Using a calculator can be helpful, but it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving equations without relying on a calculator. It is also important to check your final answer using mental math or by solving the equation manually to ensure accuracy.

How can I check if I am solving homework equations correctly?

One way to check for correctness is to work backwards and plug your solution back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct. Another way is to use online equation solvers or ask a teacher or tutor for feedback.