Feynman-Kac Formula & N-particle Canonical Partition Function

• Thread starter csopi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the Feynman-Kac formula is used to obtain the N-particle canonical partition function of a Bose gas by expressing it as the expected value of a stochastic process and integrating it over the duration of the process.
csopi
Hi,

can anyone explain to me, how the Feynman-Kac formula is used to obtain the following expression for the N-particle canonical partition function of a Bose gas (with interaction potential V)?

Z=1/N!Ʃ_{π\in S_N}Ʃ_{x1,...,xn}E[ exp(-∫_0^β Ʃ_{i<j}V(X_i(s), X_j(s) ds*indicator(X_i(β)=xπ(i), i=1...N) ]

where X_i(t) are independent continuous time simple symmetric random walks, X_i(0)=x_i.

As far as I know, the Feynman-Kac formula is a tool for solving parabolic differential equations, and I just don't know why the above is true.

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Feynman-Kac formula is an integral representation of solutions of certain kinds of partial differential equations, in particular the heat equation and the Schrödinger equation. It states that the solution of such an equation can be expressed as the expected value of a stochastic process, which in this case is a continuous time random walk. In the above expression, the Feynman-Kac formula is used to calculate the partition function of a Bose gas, which is a measure of the probability of finding a certain number of particles in a given state. The expected value of the stochastic process is then multiplied by an indicator function (which is equal to one if the condition in the indicator is met, and zero otherwise), which ensures that the particles are found in the correct state at the end of the random walk. This is then integrated over the duration of the random walk (from 0 to β) to get the partition function.

1. What is the Feynman-Kac formula and how is it used in physics?

The Feynman-Kac formula is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle's position over time. It is also used in statistical mechanics to calculate the average properties of a system. The formula involves integrating over all possible paths that a particle can take, and incorporates the concept of a "path integral" developed by physicist Richard Feynman.

2. What is the N-particle canonical partition function and what does it represent?

The N-particle canonical partition function is a mathematical tool used in statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of a system of particles at a specific temperature, volume, and number of particles. It represents the total energy of the system and is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of the system.

3. How is the Feynman-Kac formula related to the N-particle canonical partition function?

The Feynman-Kac formula is used to calculate the N-particle canonical partition function by integrating over all possible paths of the particles in the system. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the partition function, taking into account the quantum mechanical behavior of the particles.

4. Can the Feynman-Kac formula and N-particle canonical partition function be applied to all systems?

The Feynman-Kac formula and N-particle canonical partition function are primarily used in quantum and statistical mechanics to analyze the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. They are not applicable to all systems, as they do not take into account macroscopic phenomena such as fluid dynamics or electromagnetic fields.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Feynman-Kac formula and N-particle canonical partition function?

The Feynman-Kac formula and N-particle canonical partition function have a wide range of applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to study the behavior of particles in quantum computing, superconductivity, and chemical reactions. They are also used in financial mathematics to model stock prices and in biology to study protein folding and DNA interactions.