1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman Lec, problem with diffraction

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is a thing feynman doesn't explain, it is meant to be obvious, but for me and some friends is not. If you have the first book, chapter 30-6, "Diffraction by opaque screen", he is talking about the approssimation of the two path: for finite distance is h^2/s, and is quadratic proportional to h, while if you go to infinity, that is the point, is linearly proportional to h. I really don't understand what does it means, the approssimation is more good if you go to infinity, is always quadratic, for any finite distance, the limit is proportional to h^2. It is an important sentence, for him this is the advantage of the "sources" method

2. Relevant equations
    You have to read all the passages of the book, if you don't have it i can send that page to you.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Another note, say that the difference of paths is linearly proportional to h is like saying that the path is equivalent (times a coefficient) to the path going straight on and then go 90 deg to the right, that for me is not the fastest
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?