Feynman Lectues Vol I Fig 11-7

• Thread starter Hetware
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feynman
In summary, there is a discussion about a diagram in The Feynman Lectures that appears to be incorrect. The conversation covers various opinions on the matter and suggests that the diagram is being used for dual purposes, but not explicitly stating that it is an example of the wrong way to do something. The conversation also mentions that there have been previous errors in the book and that corrections have been made. There is also a detailed example presented to verify the correctness of the diagram.
Hetware
The figure 11-7 in Vol I of The Feynman Lectures appears incorrect to me. The second full paragraph explains exactly why it is incorrect. The caption should probably make it clear that the diagram represents the flawed depiction the author is warning against. Do others agree with this?

If I noticed this in the past, I didn't report the error. Unfortunately, it's still present in the New Millennium Edition.

Attachments

• feynman-v1-fig-11-17.jpg
    feynman-v1-fig-11-17.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right to me - he's explicitly showing how to do it wrong then how to get it right in the next diagram - Pretty much Feynman's style.

P.S. My copy of Feynman is liberally daubed with my own notes explaining things like that.- I think he deliberately left huge margins for that purpose.

Last edited:
My conclusion is that he is using figure 11-7 for double purposes: Describing the situation, and demonstrating a wrong way to take the difference of two vectors. In addition to that, he never explicitly states that the diagram purposefully contains an example of the wrong way to do it, that is to be assumed from the text. For those reasons, I'd say Feynman is not being reasonably (a grey area!) clear here. Even a question mark after Δv in the figure would have gone a long way.

My rule for diagrams with examples of wrong way to do things is: always say so on the diagram.

DocZaius said:
My rule for diagrams with examples of wrong way to do things is: always say so on the diagram.
Feynman wrote those books in the 60's. They were a set of almost verbatim lecture notes and I've no doubt that's the diagram he drew on the blackboard.
They're a little out of context in a book - but you just have to accept that as the price you pay for his colloquial style and insight.

It's interesting that Susskind lectures the same way. Can't wait to see his book.

PS - Don't hold your breath. He won't be correcting it.

AJ Bentley said:
PS - Don't hold your breath. He won't be correcting it.

I wasn't referring to this being corrected specifically, I was just stating a rule of thumb. If I had requested for a dead man to make textbook corrections, your joke might have been more fitting ;)

DocZaius said:
My conclusion is that he is using figure 11-7 for double purposes: Describing the situation, and demonstrating a wrong way to take the difference of two vectors. In addition to that, he never explicitly states that the diagram purposefully contains an example of the wrong way to do it, that is to be assumed from the text. For those reasons, I'd say Feynman is not being reasonably (a grey area!) clear here. Even a question mark after Δv in the figure would have gone a long way.

I fully agree. It is inconsistent with what he did in figure 17-2 (attached). I guess I should report this to Michael Gottlieb, et al. I don't know how many new editions there will be. If a sufficient number of errors are reported, they might update the FLP again.

Feynman can't really be held responsible for the captioning of diagrams, or even the form in which they appear in print. That was the work of his colleagues.

It really is important to get things correct in a physics textbook. Even "trivial" things such as this diagram. There were some errors in previous editions that caused me considerable confusion. The FLP was my primary source when learning physics. I still recall sitting in my taxicab in between fares, agonizing over not understanding his presentation on gravitational potential energy, only to come to realize (years later) that it had errors in it.

DocZaius said:
I wasn't referring to this being corrected specifically, I was just stating a rule of thumb. If I had requested for a dead man to make textbook corrections, your joke might have been more fitting ;)

There have been extensive revisions of the FLP over they years. I've reported a number of outstanding errors that are now corrected.

Here are the latest errata:

http://www.feynmanlectures.info/errata/FLP_New_Millennium_Edition_Newly_Reported_Vol_I_Errata.pdf

There have been at least 1156 corrections since the original publication.

Am I correct that the representation in Fig. 11-7 amounts to the following:

[itex]\Delta \pmb{v} \approx \pmb{\bar{v}} \Delta t+\pmb{a} \Delta t[/itex],

and thus the incorrect result:

[itex]lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0 } \frac{\Delta \pmb{v}}{ \Delta t} = \pmb{v} +\pmb{a}[/itex]

Here's an example: let [itex]\pmb{p}[/itex] be the terminus of the velocity vector for a point on the unit circle moving at speed [itex]\omega[/itex].

[itex]\pmb{p}=\pmb{r}+\pmb{v}[/itex]

[itex]\pmb{r}=\{\cos \omega t,\sin \omega t\}[/itex]

[itex]\pmb{v}=\omega \{-\sin \omega t,\cos \omega t\}[/itex]

[itex]\pmb{p}=\{\cos \omega t,\sin \omega t\}+\omega \{-\sin \omega t,\cos \omega t\}[/itex]

[itex]\pmb{\dot{p}}=\omega \{-\sin \omega t,\cos \omega t\}-\omega ^2\{\cos \omega t,\sin \omega t\}[/itex]

[itex]\pmb{\dot{p}}=\pmb{v}+\pmb{a}[/itex]

Last edited:
Could someone please verify what I have presented. I have been told that it is not correct. I am quite convinced that it is correct.

Here is a depiction of the equivalent figure using my example. Notice that the [itex]\Delta\vec{v}[/itex] corresponding to Fig 11-7 (depicted in red) is always parallel to a tangent to the circle. It will never point in the correct direction of the acceleration [itex]lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0}\frac{\Delta\vec{v}}{\Delta t}[/itex] ([itex]\Delta\vec{v}[/itex] depicted in green.)

I'm hoping the person I am corresponding with will come to realize this.

I now realize that the figure is even more incorrect than I originally thought it was.

Attachments

• feynman-v1-fig-11-7-exposed.png
    feynman-v1-fig-11-7-exposed.png
    3 KB · Views: 449
Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Hetware said:
Here is a depiction of the equivalent figure using my example. Notice that the [itex]\Delta\vec{v}[/itex] corresponding to Fig 11-7 (depicted in red) is always parallel to a tangent to the circle. It will never point in the correct direction of the acceleration [itex]lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0}\frac{\Delta\vec{v}}{\Delta t}[/itex] ([itex]\Delta\vec{v}[/itex] depicted in green.)

I'm hoping the person I am corresponding with will come to realize this.

I now realize that the figure is even more incorrect than I originally thought it was.
The whole point of Feynman's two diagrams and his explanation was to show that a common mistake is to do exactly what you are doing!

I don't understand why you are saying that the velocity vector is [itex]\vec{v} + \vec{a}[/itex]. The dimensions of v and a are different, for one thing. Furthermore, the velocity vectors are always TANGENTIAL to [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] which is the radius of curvature of the path of the body.

The change in velocity is in the radial direction if you make the Δθ small enough: ie.

[tex]
\vec{a} = \lim_{\Delta t\rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta \vec{v}}{\Delta t} = -|a|\hat{r}
[/tex]

where [itex]\hat r[/itex] is the unit vector in the radial (outward) direction.

BUT you have to do the vector subtraction by moving the two velocity vectors so their tails are at the same point. That was Feynman's point, as shown in his subsequent diagram.
AM

1. What is "Feynman Lectures Vol I Fig 11-7"?

"Feynman Lectures Vol I Fig 11-7" refers to Figure 11-7 in Volume I of "The Feynman Lectures on Physics," a series of lectures given by physicist Richard Feynman at the California Institute of Technology in the 1960s. This figure illustrates a simple demonstration of a pendulum in motion.

2. Why is this figure important?

This figure is important because it demonstrates the principles of simple harmonic motion and illustrates the concept of energy conservation in a clear and concise manner. It also serves as an example of how Feynman used visual aids to enhance his lectures and make complex concepts more accessible to his audience.

3. How does this figure relate to physics?

This figure relates to physics because it shows the behavior of a physical system, the pendulum, under the influence of gravity and other forces. It also highlights important concepts in physics such as oscillation, equilibrium, and energy conservation.

4. Can this figure be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, this figure can be applied to real-world situations. The principles illustrated by the pendulum, such as simple harmonic motion and energy conservation, can be seen in various phenomena in nature, such as the motion of a swing, the vibrations of a guitar string, or the behavior of a spring.

5. Is "Feynman Lectures Vol I Fig 11-7" suitable for all levels of understanding?

While the figure itself may be simple, the concepts it represents may be more complex and require a certain level of understanding of physics. However, Feynman's lectures were designed for students of all levels, and with the help of his clear explanations and visual aids, this figure can be understood by anyone with a basic understanding of physics.