1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman lectures - elastic materials - eqn 39.22

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    I'm reading Feynman Lectures on Physics Volume 2 Chapter 39 on elastic materials. Equation 39.22 relates the elements in the elasticity tensor to the Young's modulus and the Poisson's ratio. I have no clue on how to get these relations myself.

For example, for C_xxxx, I think it should tell how the material is elongated in the x-direction in response to a stress in the x-direction. Hence I would suppose C_xxxx is just the Young's modulus Y, because this relation is just like F / A = Y * (delta l) / l.

Please kindly show me directions of how to derive these relations. You can find a copy of Feynman Lectures Vol 2 Ch 39 in http://student.fizika.org/~jsisko/K...n Physics/Vol 2 Ch 39 - Elastic Materials.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted