Have you experienced the enlightening Feynman Lectures on Physics?

In summary, the Feynman Lectures of Physics are highly praised and recommended by those who have read them. They provide a unique and enjoyable perspective on physics and are great for reinvigorating one's passion for the subject. Despite some negative comments, they have been continuously in print for over 40 years and are considered valuable by many in the field. It is recommended to read them casually and let the material sink in for the most benefit.
Whatever123
Has anyone read the Feynman Lectures of Physics*? I've heard about them and they seem pretty nice. I'm thinking of looking into them but wanted some feedback from someone who has already read them. I already know some of the basics and so I mainly wanted these to better my understanding of physics.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feynman_Lectures_on_Physics

P.S. I hope I posted this in the correct area. I wasn't sure where to put this and I figured "Math & Science Learning Materials" was appropriate...

Physics news on Phys.org
Get it, read it, you'll probably think of physics in a whole different way.

Feldoh said:
Get it, read it, you'll probably think of physics in a whole different way.

Yeah, that seems to be the popular response from people on other forums also. Not one person has said anything bad about them yet. I'll probably pick them up this Thursday unless someone gives me a good reason not to...

You'll find some negative comments if you search this forum, but the complaints tend to be that these are not textbooks or exam review books. People also bring up Feynman's feeling that he didn't succeed in the courses. But I think after being in print continuously for more than 40 years, the lectures have more than proved their value. I think anyone serious about Physics should have them.

Feynman's lectures are an excellent and enjoyable read. What they are truly good for is reinvigorating your passion for physics. Most introductory textbooks used in physics classes are bland. Feynman's lectures always peaked my interest as he explains things in a way that keeps the reader intrigued. You'll probably get the most benefit from them reading casually and letting the material sink in.

What are the Feynman Lectures on Physics?

The Feynman Lectures on Physics is a set of three books written by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman. The books cover a wide range of topics in physics, from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics, and are considered a classic and comprehensive introduction to the subject.

What makes the Feynman Lectures on Physics unique?

The Feynman Lectures on Physics are known for their clear and engaging writing style, as well as their emphasis on conceptual understanding rather than mathematical equations. Feynman also includes many personal anecdotes and stories, making the lectures both informative and entertaining.

Who is the target audience for the Feynman Lectures on Physics?

The Feynman Lectures on Physics are intended for a general audience, including undergraduate students, graduate students, and anyone interested in learning about physics. The books are written in a way that is accessible to readers with a basic understanding of math and science.

Do I need to read all three books in the Feynman Lectures on Physics series?

No, the three books in the series are meant to be read in any order as they cover different topics in physics. However, it is recommended to read all three books to get a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

Are the Feynman Lectures on Physics still relevant today?

Yes, the Feynman Lectures on Physics are still considered a valuable resource for learning physics and are widely used in universities and colleges around the world. While some of the content may be outdated in terms of specific scientific discoveries, the concepts and principles discussed in the lectures are still applicable and important in modern physics.