1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman Lectures on Physics

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    Has anyone read the Feynman Lectures of Physics*? I've heard about them and they seem pretty nice. I'm thinking of looking into them but wanted some feedback from someone who has already read them. I already know some of the basics and so I mainly wanted these to better my understanding of physics.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feynman_Lectures_on_Physics

P.S. I hope I posted this in the correct area. I wasn't sure where to put this and I figured "Math & Science Learning Materials" was appropriate...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2
    Get it, read it, you'll probably think of physics in a whole different way.

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3
    Yeah, that seems to be the popular response from people on other forums also. Not one person has said anything bad about them yet. I'll probably pick them up this Thursday unless someone gives me a good reason not to...

5. Sep 23, 2009 #4
    You'll find some negative comments if you search this forum, but the complaints tend to be that these are not textbooks or exam review books. People also bring up Feynman's feeling that he didn't succeed in the courses. But I think after being in print continuously for more than 40 years, the lectures have more than proved their value. I think anyone serious about Physics should have them.

6. Sep 23, 2009 #5
    Feynman's lectures are an excellent and enjoyable read. What they are truly good for is reinvigorating your passion for physics. Most introductory textbooks used in physics classes are bland. Feynman's lectures always peaked my interest as he explains things in a way that keeps the reader intrigued. You'll probably get the most benefit from them reading casually and letting the material sink in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook