Feynman Lectures: Is It Right For Engineering Student?

In summary, Sam, an engineering student, is interested in studying physics and is currently using a textbook by Halliday/Resnick/Krane. They have heard good reviews about Feynman lectures but are unsure if it is a suitable supplement for their current level of understanding. The expert recommends using open courseware lecture series instead of the Feynman undergrad lectures for beginners in physics. They suggest taking the time to read through some of the lectures to see if they are helpful.
Klaz
Hello everyone. My name is Sam and I am an engineering student. I am very interested in studying physics. I am currently using physics by Halliday/Resnick/Krane. I have read good reviews on Feynman lectures but not really sure about its content. Is Feynman lectures a good supplement or is it too early for me to understand it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not recommend the Feynman undergrad lectures to students starting out learning physics.
You are better to suppliment your text with an opencoarsware lecture series.

They're free online, so why not take an hour to read through some of them? See if you understand it and if they're helpful.

1. What is the Feynman Lectures and how is it relevant to engineering students?

The Feynman Lectures on Physics is a set of three textbooks written by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman. The lectures cover a wide range of topics in physics and are often used as introductory textbooks for undergraduate students. While the lectures may not directly cover engineering topics, they provide a strong foundation in fundamental physics principles that are applicable to various engineering fields.

2. How will the Feynman Lectures benefit an engineering student?

The Feynman Lectures are not only informative but also engaging and entertaining. They cover a wide range of topics in physics, from mechanics to electromagnetism, and provide a strong conceptual understanding of these principles. This understanding can greatly benefit an engineering student in their studies and future career. Additionally, Feynman's approach to problem-solving and critical thinking can help students develop essential skills for engineering.

3. Can engineering students understand the Feynman Lectures, even if they do not have a strong background in physics?

Yes, the Feynman Lectures are designed to be accessible to students with varying levels of physics knowledge. However, it is recommended that students have a basic understanding of mathematics and physics concepts before diving into the lectures. Additionally, the lectures are written in a conversational style, making them easier to understand and follow.

4. Do engineering students need to read all three volumes of the Feynman Lectures?

No, it is not necessary for engineering students to read all three volumes. The lectures are organized in such a way that students can choose which topics are most relevant to their studies and focus on those. However, it is recommended to at least read the first volume, as it covers fundamental principles that are essential for understanding more advanced topics.

5. Are the Feynman Lectures a substitute for engineering textbooks?

No, the Feynman Lectures should not be used as a substitute for engineering textbooks. While they provide a strong foundation in physics principles, they do not cover specific engineering topics in depth. Engineering students should still refer to their textbooks for a more comprehensive understanding of their field of study. The Feynman Lectures can be used as a supplement to enhance their understanding of the underlying principles of engineering.