1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman parameter integral

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    I'm trying to show equation (6.39) on page 189 in Peskin & Schroeder.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that [tex]\frac{1}{AB}=\int_0^1dxdy\delta(x+y-1)\frac{1}{(xA+yB)^2}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Defining property of Dirac delta function:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx f(x)\delta(x-x_0)=f(x_0)[/tex]

Also:

[tex]\int_{x_0-\varepsilon}^{x_0+\varepsilon}dx f(x)\delta(x-x_0)=f(x_0)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the defining properties of the delta function requires the limits of integration to be outside the points where the argument of the delta function is zero, I cannot simply plug my expression into any of these relations. If I instead choose the limits of integration [tex]1+\varepsilon[/tex] and [tex]0-\varepsilon[/tex] I can use the second
    delta function identity from above to "force" x=1-y as I integrate over dx. So

[tex]\int_{0+\varepsilon}^{1+\varepsilon}dxdy\delta(x+y-1)\frac{1}{(xA+yB)^2}
    =\int_{1+\varepsilon}^{1+\varepsilon}dy\frac{1}{[(1-y)A+yB]^2}[/tex]. After a few routine steps
    the expression I get goes to [tex]\frac{1}{AB}[/tex] in the limit [tex]\varepsilon\rightarrow 0[/tex], which is the result I want for the integral without the epsilons.

Is this calculation relevant in obtaining the value of [tex]\int_0^1dx (...)[/tex] and how are the two integrals related? I'm getting very confused here.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?