Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman Quote

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    "You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and I came in through the parking lot. And you won't believe what happened. I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!"

I was looking through Richard Feynman's page on Wikiquotes and found this but it didn't list a source. Does anyone know what he might have been talking about? I was thinking the anthropic principle...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I don't think that so much as talking about the pitfalls of retrospectively finding in data things that may have no relevance other than happenstance.
  4. Jul 17, 2008 #3
    It applies in the context of the (misuse of the) anthropic principle but is more general. The book says
    seems trivial but it's a good principle to remember...
  5. Jul 17, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Getting ARW 357 as a vanity plate would be a very subtle inside joke for a physicist.

One might wonder if it was Feynman's plate number even.
  6. Jul 18, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would be an interesting example of observation affecting a phenomenon. He'd see ARW 357 plates in the parking lots of every lecture he gave.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?