"Was Feynman's license plate ARW 357 a subtle physicist joke?

• Thread starter bill nye scienceguy!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feynman Quote
In summary, Richard Feynman observed a car with the license plate ARW 357 on his way to a lecture and reflected on the chances of seeing that specific plate out of millions in the state. This conversation also touches on the anthropic principle and the idea of not verifying an idea using the same data that suggested it. There is also speculation that ARW 357 could have been Feynman's own vanity plate.
bill nye scienceguy!
"You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and I came in through the parking lot. And you won't believe what happened. I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!"

I was looking through Richard Feynman's page on Wikiquotes and found this but it didn't list a source. Does anyone know what he might have been talking about? I was thinking the anthropic principle...

Physics news on Phys.org
bill nye scienceguy! said:
I was thinking the anthropic principle...

I don't think that so much as talking about the pitfalls of retrospectively finding in data things that may have no relevance other than happenstance.

bill nye scienceguy! said:
I was looking through Richard Feynman's page on Wikiquotes and found this but it didn't list a source. Does anyone know what he might have been talking about? I was thinking the anthropic principle...
It applies in the context of the (misuse of the) anthropic principle but is more general. The book says
one must not verify an idea using the same data that suggested the idea in the first place
seems trivial but it's a good principle to remember...

Getting ARW 357 as a vanity plate would be a very subtle inside joke for a physicist.

One might wonder if it was Feynman's plate number even.

LowlyPion said:
Getting ARW 357 as a vanity plate would be a very subtle inside joke for a physicist.

One might wonder if it was Feynman's plate number even.

That would be an interesting example of observation affecting a phenomenon. He'd see ARW 357 plates in the parking lots of every lecture he gave.

What is the meaning behind the Feynman quote, "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool"?

This quote from physicist Richard Feynman serves as a reminder to always approach things with a critical mind. It emphasizes the importance of being honest with oneself and not falling prey to self-deception or bias.

How does this quote relate to the scientific process?

Feynman's quote is a fundamental principle in the scientific process. It highlights the need for objectivity and the constant questioning of one's own assumptions and beliefs. By avoiding self-deception, scientists can ensure that their research and findings are based on sound evidence and not personal biases.

What are some practical applications of this quote?

This quote can be applied to various aspects of life, not just science. It encourages critical thinking and self-reflection, which can lead to personal growth and better decision-making. In the scientific realm, it can help researchers avoid confirmation bias and ensure the validity of their findings.

How does this quote tie in with Feynman's overall philosophy?

Feynman was known for his love of exploration and his curiosity about the world. This quote reflects his belief in the importance of approaching things with an open mind and constantly questioning and challenging one's own understanding. It aligns with his overall philosophy of curiosity and skepticism.

What impact has this quote had on the scientific community?

Feynman's quote has become a popular reminder among scientists to remain objective and avoid self-deception. It has also been referenced in various scientific publications and lectures, highlighting its lasting impact on the scientific community.