1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman Quote

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    "You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and I came in through the parking lot. And you won't believe what happened. I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!"

I was looking through Richard Feynman's page on Wikiquotes and found this but it didn't list a source. Does anyone know what he might have been talking about? I was thinking the anthropic principle...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I don't think that so much as talking about the pitfalls of retrospectively finding in data things that may have no relevance other than happenstance.

4. Jul 17, 2008 #3
    It applies in the context of the (misuse of the) anthropic principle but is more general. The book says
    seems trivial but it's a good principle to remember...

5. Jul 17, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Getting ARW 357 as a vanity plate would be a very subtle inside joke for a physicist.

One might wonder if it was Feynman's plate number even.

6. Jul 18, 2008 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would be an interesting example of observation affecting a phenomenon. He'd see ARW 357 plates in the parking lots of every lecture he gave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?