1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman Quote

1. Jul 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't really know where to post this but I chose this section. I need help finding the source of this Feynman Quote "The probability of detecting a photon at any point is the sum of all the probabilities of the photon being detected at that point by any path"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2012 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jul 29, 2012 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since this is one of his fundamental principles, he said it many times and very likely wrote it many times as well.

5. Jul 29, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If that's a direct quote, then he must have been speaking loosely. It's the probability amplitudes for all the paths that are added to get the total probability amplitude. You then "square" the total amplitude to get the total probability. The distinction between adding amplitudes and adding probabilities is fundamental to quantum mechanics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook