Feynman rules and decay process

• Thread starter jc09
  • Start date
Hi I need help to understand Feynman rules for decay for exams. In past paper there is the following question as whether the following are allowed.

cc decays to tau++tau-. From What I can see this is possible via the strong force is this correct?

The next is cc decays to cu and cu. From what I can this this can't happen but is this correct?

In these question c is the antiparticle

Answers and Replies

The second process can happen.
One of the initial particles, say c, can release a gluon which can produce a pair of u quarks.

Hi I need help to understand Feynman rules for decay for exams. In past paper there is the following question as whether the following are allowed.

cc decays to tau++tau-. From What I can see this is possible via the strong force is this correct?

This is certainly wrong: the tau is a lepton and leptons do not interact via strong force.
IMHO, this decay is possible via electroweak interactions: c and c-bar annihilate into a virtual Z-boson or photon, which in turn decays into the pair of leptons.

The next is cc decays to cu and cu. From what I can this this can't happen but is this correct?

In these question c is the antiparticle

This is kinematically forbidden (energy conservation): the outgoing particles would be in sum heavier than the decay parent.

As far as ccbar goes, it depends on what you mean by "decay". If both are at rest with respect to each other, then ccbar -> c ubar + u cbar is forbidden. If they have enough energy to overcome the 2m_u barrier you need to start that reaction, then you're fine and it's allowed.