Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions

In summary, to obtain the momentum-space Feynman rules for this theory, we need to expand the exponential term in the path integral and then use Wick's theorem to obtain the connected diagrams. The Feynman rules are: a propagator given by ##\langle0|T\{\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\}|0\rangle = \frac{i}{p^2-m^2}## where ##p## is the momentum of the field, a vertex factor of ##-ig(p_1+p_2)^\mu## where ##p_1## and ##p_2## are the momenta of the two fields at the vertex, and a momentum conservation factor of ##\delta(p_
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Consider a real scalar field with a derivative interaction

$$\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}\left((\partial\phi)^{2}-m^{2}\phi^{2}\right)+\frac{g}{2}\phi\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial_{\mu}\phi.$$

What are the momentum-space Feynman rules for this theory?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To figure out the Feynman rules for this theory, it is helpful to compute the ##n##-point correlation functions of the theory.

Let's start with the ##2##-point correlation function.

##\displaystyle{\langle\Omega|T\{\phi(x_{1})\phi(x_{2})\}|\Omega\rangle}##

##\displaystyle{=\int\mathcal{D}\phi\ \phi(x_{1})\phi(x_{2})\exp\left[i\int d^{4}x\left(\frac{1}{2}\left((\partial\phi)^{2}-m^{2}\phi^{2}\right)+\frac{g}{2}\phi\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial_{\mu}\phi\right)\right]}##

##\displaystyle{=\int\mathcal{D}\phi\ \phi(x_{1})\phi(x_{2})\exp\left[i\int d^{4}x \left(\frac{1}{2}\left((\partial\phi)^{2}-m^{2}\phi^{2}\right)\right)\right] \exp\left[i\int d^{4}x \left(\frac{g}{2}\phi\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial_{\mu}\phi\right)\right]}##

##\displaystyle{=\int\mathcal{D}\phi\ \phi(x_{1})\phi(x_{2})\exp\left[i\int d^{4}x \left(\frac{1}{2}\left((\partial\phi)^{2}-m^{2}\phi^{2}\right)\right)\right] \left(1+i\int d^{4}x \left(\frac{g}{2}\phi\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial_{\mu}\phi\right) +\mathcal{O}\left(g^{2}\right)\right)}##

##\displaystyle{=\int\mathcal{D}\phi\ \phi(x_{1})\phi(x_{2})\exp\left[i\int d^{4}x \left(\frac{1}{2}\left((\partial\phi)^{2}-m^{2}\phi^{2}\right)\right)\right] + \int\mathcal{D}\phi\ \phi(x_{1})\phi(x_{2})\exp\left[i\int d^{4}x \left(\frac{1}{2}\left((\partial\phi)^{2}-m^{2}\phi^{2}\right)\right)\right] \left(i\int d^{4}x \left(\frac{g}{2}\phi\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial_{\mu}\phi\right)\right) + \mathcal{O}\left(g^{2}\right)}##

##\displaystyle{=\langle0|T\{\phi(x_{1})\phi(x_{2})\}|0\rangle + \langle0|T\{\phi(x_{1})\phi(x_{2})\left(i\int d^{4}x \left(\frac{g}{2}\phi\partial^{\mu}\phi\partial_{\mu}\phi\right)\right)\}|0\rangle + \mathcal{O}\left(g^{2}\right)}##

##\displaystyle{=\langle0|T\{\phi(x_{1})\phi(x_{2})\}|0\rangle + \frac{ig}{2} \int d^{4}x \langle0|T\{\phi(x_{1})\phi(x_{2}) \phi(x)\partial^{\mu}\phi(x)\partial_{\mu}\phi(x)\}|0\rangle + \mathcal{O}\left(g^{2}\right)}##.

I am a little confused by the derivatives in the second term. How can you apply Wick's theorem when there are derivative factors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, the last term in the expansion, ##\mathcal{O}(g^2)##, is not a Feynman diagram, so it should not be included in the Feynman rules. To find the Feynman rules, we need to expand the exponential term in the path integral and then use Wick's theorem to obtain the connected diagrams. In this case, the Feynman rules are as follows:

1. Propagator: ##\langle0|T\{\phi(x_1)\phi(x_2)\}|0\rangle = \frac{i}{p^2-m^2}##, where ##p## is the momentum of the field.

2. Vertex factor: ##-ig(p_1+p_2)^\mu##, where ##p_1## and ##p_2## are the momenta of the two fields at the vertex.

3. Momentum conservation: ##\delta(p_1+p_2+p_3)##, where ##p_3## is the momentum of the external field.

Using these rules, we can construct the Feynman diagrams for any ##n##-point correlation function and compute them using the standard techniques of Feynman diagram calculations.

1. What are Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions?

Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions are a set of mathematical rules used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability amplitudes for interactions involving particles with derivative interactions. These rules were developed by physicist Richard Feynman and are a fundamental tool in understanding the behavior of particles and fields in the quantum realm.

2. How do Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions differ from regular Feynman rules?

Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions differ from regular Feynman rules in that they take into account interactions involving particles with derivative interactions. This means that in addition to the usual Feynman diagrams and propagators, there are also additional vertices and rules for calculating the corresponding probability amplitudes.

3. What types of particles and fields are involved in Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions?

Particles and fields involved in Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions include scalar fields, vector fields, and spinor fields. These fields can interact with each other through derivative interactions, which are described by the Feynman rules.

4. How are Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions used in calculations?

Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions are used in calculations by first identifying the relevant particles and fields involved in the interaction. Then, the corresponding Feynman diagrams are drawn and the rules for calculating the probability amplitudes are applied. These amplitudes can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of the particles and fields in the quantum realm.

5. What is the significance of Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions in physics?

The significance of Feynman rules for derivative self-interactions in physics is that they allow for the calculation of probability amplitudes for interactions involving particles with derivative interactions. This is important in understanding the behavior of particles and fields at the quantum level, and has applications in various fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics.