Is 'Calculus for the Practical Man' a Good Introduction to Calculus?

In summary, there are several books for practical math including Arithmetic for the Practical Man, Algebra for the Practical Man, Geometry for the Practical Man, Trigonometry for the Practical Man, and Calculus for the Practical Man. These books were used by the renowned physicist Richard Feynman and are recommended for a quick review. Calculus for the Practical Man may not be as thorough as modern books, but it covers the necessary material. Other books such as Algebra for the Practical Man and Geometry and Trig for the Practical Man are also helpful. It is suggested to use a more updated book, such as Larson and Edwards' Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions, for a more comprehensive introduction to calculus.
theoristo
I just Read arithemetic for the practical man and found really interesting...there's also Algebra for the Practical Man,Geometry for the Practical Man,Trigonometry for the Practical Man,Calculus for the Practical Man And everybody knows that the great feynman learned from these books...I would someone to make a quick review of them...especially Calculus for the practical man,please?what I really want to know is if Calculus for the practical man would be a good first introduction to calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems good. If you don't mind that the names are a bit different and it may use old trig rations like versine, and you skip the stuff about log and trig tables, then it seems like it has good coverage of what you need to know. Although the integration section is not as full as with a modern book. I see no partial fraction decomposition for example.

Algebra for the Practical Man is great, I like how Thompson(the author) writes about the subject. Comparing it to everything that I've learned, I'd say it is fairly thorough for it's size. I have also went through a little bit of Geometry and Trig for the Practical Man and they are pretty helpful as well.

I hope to go through Calculus for the Practical Man once I've finished my calc I, II, and III courses that I'm in the process of taking. My friend owns a copy of CFTPM, and by his opinion it was a useful intro to Calc for him. It may not be as thorough as a modern Calc text, however. For my Calculus classes, I'm using Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions by Larson and Edwards; I'd recommend a cheap older edition of this if you are also considering something more up to date for an intro to Calc.

1. Who was Feynman the practical man?

Feynman the practical man was a renowned American theoretical physicist, known for his contributions to quantum mechanics, particle physics, and quantum electrodynamics. He was also a teacher, author, and problem solver.

2. What were Feynman's major contributions to science?

Feynman is best known for his work in quantum electrodynamics, which helped explain the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. He also made significant contributions to the development of quantum mechanics and particle physics, as well as the theory of quantum computing.

3. How did Feynman approach problem solving?

Feynman was known for his unconventional and practical approach to problem solving. He would often break down complex problems into simpler parts, use visual aids and analogies, and think outside the box to find solutions.

4. What was Feynman's teaching style like?

Feynman was a beloved teacher, known for his engaging and enthusiastic style. He would often use real-life examples and demonstrations to help students understand difficult concepts, and encouraged them to think critically and question everything.

5. How did Feynman's personality influence his work?

Feynman's curiosity, creativity, and sense of humor greatly influenced his work as a scientist. He was not afraid to challenge conventional ideas and was always seeking new ways to approach problems. His love for learning and exploring new ideas also inspired future generations of scientists.