Solving Feynman Diagrams: Electron-Positron Scattering

• Thread starter physics_fun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum conservation in electron-positron scattering, specifically in the frame where the threemomentum of the incoming positron is equal to 0. The questions revolve around why defining threemomentum p4=p3 implies that they are both equal to 0, and why defining p3*p4=0 (three vectors) implies that p3 (three vector) or p4 equals 0. The attempt at a solution involves using 4-vectors and squaring them to find that p1p2=p3p4, and using the lab frame condition to find the next steps.
physics_fun

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Hi, I'm studying Feynman diagrams; electron-positron scattering.
If the 4-momentum of the incoming electron (positron) is p1 (p2) and of the outgoing electron (positron) is p3 (p4), momentum conservation gives
p1 + p2 = p3 + p4

If you now consider the scattering in the frame where the threemomentum of the incoming positron = 0. Why does then defining threemomentum p4=p3 imply that they equal 0?
And why does defining p3*p4=0 (three vectors) imply that p3(threevector)=0 or p4=0?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried: 4-vectors: p1+p2=p3+p4
square this: (p1)^2 + (p2)^2 + 2*p1*p2= (p3)^2 + (p4)^2 + 2*p3*p4

(p1)^2=(p3)^2=m (electron mass)
(p2)^2=(p4)^2=M (positron mass)

So: p1*p2=p3*p4
The lab frame condition gives:
p1(0)*p2(0)=p3(0)*p4(0)-p3*p4(three-vectors)

But what are the next steps?
(I hope I made clear the problem, it isn't very readable I'm afraid...)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try a little LATEX to make the problem more clear:

[tex]
p_{1} + p_{2} = p_{3} + p_{4}
[/tex]
These are four vectors of the in- and going momenta

You take the frame where the threemomentum [tex]p_{2}=0[/tex]

Questions:
1) Why does then defining threemomentum [tex]p_{4}=p_{3}[/tex] imply that [tex]p_{4}=p_{3}=0[/tex]? (threemomenta!)
And why does defining [tex]p_{3}*p_{4}=0[/tex] (three vectors) imply that [tex]p_{3}=0 or p_{4}=0[/tex]?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I tried: 4-vectors: [tex]
p_{1} + p_{2} = p_{3} + p_{4}
[/tex]
square this: [tex](p_{1})^(2) + (p_{2})^(2) + 2p_{1}p_{2}= (p_{3})^(2) + (p_{4})^(2) + 2p_{3}p_{4}
//
(p_{1})^(2)=(p_{3})^(2)=m (electron mass)
(p_{2})^(2)=(p_{4})^(2)=M (positron mass)
[/tex]
So: [tex]p_{1}p_{2}=p_{3}*p_{4}[/tex]
The lab frame condition gives:
[tex]p_{1}^{0}p_{2}^{0}=p_{3}^{0}p_{4}^{0}-p_{3}*p_{4}(three-vectors)[/tex]

But what are the next steps?
(I hope I made clear the problem, it isn't very readable I'm afraid...)

1. How do Feynman diagrams help in understanding electron-positron scattering?

Feynman diagrams are a visual representation of particle interactions and can help us understand the complex process of electron-positron scattering. They show the exchange of virtual particles between the electron and positron, allowing us to visualize and calculate the probability of different outcomes.

2. What is the significance of the arrows in Feynman diagrams?

The arrows in Feynman diagrams represent the direction of particle flow. In electron-positron scattering, the arrows point in opposite directions for the incoming electron and positron, and in the same direction for the outgoing electron and positron.

3. How do we calculate the probability of different outcomes in electron-positron scattering using Feynman diagrams?

We can calculate the probability of different outcomes by assigning mathematical values to each part of the Feynman diagram, such as the particle momenta and coupling constants. These values are then used in equations to determine the likelihood of specific outcomes occurring.

4. Can Feynman diagrams be used to study other types of particle interactions?

Yes, Feynman diagrams can be used to study a wide range of particle interactions, including those involving quarks, gluons, and other fundamental particles. They are an important tool in theoretical physics and have been used to make many predictions that have been confirmed by experiments.

5. How do we know if a Feynman diagram is a valid representation of a particle interaction?

A Feynman diagram is considered valid if it follows the rules of quantum field theory, which govern the behavior of particles and their interactions. These rules include conservation of energy, momentum, and charge, as well as the use of Feynman's famous "Feynman rules" for calculating probabilities.