Getting Started with FeynMF Package: Issues and Solutions

• Thread starter TriTertButoxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues
In summary, the speaker has shared their experience with using the FeynMF package to draw Feynman Diagrams in LaTeX. They have encountered some issues with the package, including labels not appearing even after refreshing the diagram and difficulty in adding miniature arrows to indicate direction of momentum. They also mention that using the feynmp package instead of feynmf causes all diagrams to vanish, which is frustrating for them. They request suggestions for resolving these issues.
TriTertButoxy
Hi I'm getting used to the FeynMF package used to draw Feynman Diagrams in LaTeX, and the hard work of learning to use the package has paid off.

However, there are a couple issues that I'm having with the package.

1. Labels don't appear even when I use the \fmflabel command or the l=blah option in the \fmf{fermion, l=$q$}{i1,v1,o2} command inside the fmfgraph* environment. I know that to force the previewer to update a diagram, I must delete the .pk file associated with the diagram. But the labels don't show up, even though the rest of the diagram refreshes after the procedure.

2. How do I get miniature arrows beside the external legs and propagators to indicate direction of momentum? The arrows in the diagrams indicate flow of charge, and I want to be able to make this distinction. Note that this was done in Peskin and Shroder's Introduction to Quantum Field Theory, so it's not impossible. :smile:

Any suggetions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Also, I've noticed that if I include the feynmp package instead of the feynmf package, all diagrams vanish. Why is that happening?

It's a little frustrating :mad: .

Hi there,

Glad to hear that you're getting the hang of using the FeynMF package for Feynman Diagrams in LaTeX! It can definitely be a bit tricky to learn, but it's worth it in the end.

In regards to your first issue with labels not appearing, it sounds like you may be missing a step in the process of updating the diagram. In addition to deleting the .pk file, you also need to run the command "latex filename" in your terminal or command prompt. This will update the .dvi file, which is what the previewer reads. Make sure to do this after deleting the .pk file, and your labels should appear.

For your second issue, adding arrows to indicate direction of momentum is possible with the FeynMF package. You can use the command \fmf{fermion,arrow=half,arrow_len=5}{i1,v1} to add a half arrow to the fermion line from point i1 to v1. You can adjust the arrow length as needed. Similar commands can be used for other types of lines (e.g. \fmf{photon,arrow=full} for a full arrow on a photon line). Refer to the FeynMF manual for more information on these commands.

I hope this helps! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or issues. Happy diagramming!

What is the FeynMF package?

The FeynMF package is a LaTeX package that allows for the creation of Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions in quantum field theory.

How do I get started with using the FeynMF package?

To get started, you will need to have a basic understanding of LaTeX and its syntax. You will also need to have the FeynMF package installed on your computer. Once installed, you can begin creating Feynman diagrams using the provided commands and syntax.

What are some common issues when using the FeynMF package?

Some common issues when using the FeynMF package include errors in the code or diagrams not appearing as expected. These issues can often be resolved by checking for typos, ensuring the correct package is loaded, and using the appropriate syntax for the desired diagram.

How can I troubleshoot problems with the FeynMF package?

If you encounter issues while using the FeynMF package, you can refer to the package documentation for guidance. Additionally, you can search for solutions online or seek help from other LaTeX users who are familiar with the package.

Are there any alternatives to the FeynMF package for creating Feynman diagrams?

Yes, there are other packages available for creating Feynman diagrams in LaTeX, such as feyn, feynmf, and tikz-feynman. It is recommended to explore and compare these options to determine which one best suits your needs.