Simple 8-bit FFT Processor for 512pt Array at 20MHz

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a "simple" FFT processor with specific requirements, such as an 8 bits input, a minimum array size of 512 points, and a speed of at least 20 MHz. The possibility of using a purpose-built chip or an Intel CPU in a PC is mentioned, as well as the availability of code for FPGAs to generate pipelined parallel FFT processors.
Ravaner
Hello. I'm looking for a "simple" FFT processor able to process an 8 bits input in an array of at least 512 pts with a speed of at least 20 MHz. I've precised "simple" instead of certain TI DSP with up to 196 pins ! I only need FFT nothing else. Does it exist ? Thanks by advance for replies.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tough to answer without checking the DS of a bunch of processors - Digikey sort may help

Do you just want the processor - for a product development, or is this a one off build - although a Dev Kit would help with both.

Ravaner said:
Hello. I'm looking for a "simple" FFT processor able to process an 8 bits input in an array of at least 512 pts with a speed of at least 20 MHz. I've precised "simple" instead of certain TI DSP with up to 196 pins ! I only need FFT nothing else. Does it exist ? Thanks by advance for replies.
Does that mean you want to process the whole array from input time domain data to output frequency domain data once every 1/20MHz = 50ns? That's pretty fast for a simple processor, IMO. There may be some purpose-built chips that can be used to pipeline and accelerate the transform, though.

EDIT -- Or do you mean you just want your hardware clock for this processing to run at 20MHz? How often do you need for the FFT to complete?

Ravaner said:
8 bits input in an array of at least 512 pts with a speed of at least 20 MHz.
If the 20MHz is the data acquisition rate, then it can be done continuously on an Intel CPU in a PC.
There is code available for FPGAs that will generate pipelined parallel FFT processors for the highest speeds.

Thanks for your replies.

1. What is a Simple 8-bit FFT Processor for 512pt Array at 20MHz?

A Simple 8-bit FFT Processor for 512pt Array at 20MHz is a type of computer processor that is specifically designed to perform Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) calculations on a 512-point array at a clock speed of 20MHz. It is used for processing digital signals in applications such as audio and video processing, communications, and radar systems.

2. How does a Simple 8-bit FFT Processor work?

A Simple 8-bit FFT Processor works by breaking down a complex signal into its individual frequency components using the Fourier Transform algorithm. It then performs calculations on these components to determine their amplitudes and phases. The processor uses a combination of digital logic and memory elements to perform these calculations at a high speed and accuracy.

3. What are the advantages of using a Simple 8-bit FFT Processor?

Some advantages of using a Simple 8-bit FFT Processor include its ability to process signals quickly and accurately, its low cost compared to other FFT processors, and its simple design which makes it easy to integrate into different systems. It also consumes less power, making it suitable for portable and low-power devices.

4. What are the limitations of a Simple 8-bit FFT Processor?

One limitation of a Simple 8-bit FFT Processor is its lower precision compared to higher bit processors. This can result in less accurate calculations and a limited dynamic range for certain applications. Additionally, it may not be suitable for processing large arrays or signals with high sample rates due to its lower processing speed.

5. What are the potential applications of a Simple 8-bit FFT Processor?

A Simple 8-bit FFT Processor can be used in a variety of applications, including audio and video processing, data compression, signal analysis, and communications systems. It is also commonly used in digital signal processing (DSP) applications and can be integrated into microcontrollers and other embedded systems for real-time processing of signals.