Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FFT processor

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    Hello. I'm looking for a "simple" FFT processor able to process an 8 bits input in an array of at least 512 pts with a speed of at least 20 MHz. I've precised "simple" instead of certain TI DSP with up to 196 pins !!! I only need FFT nothing else. Does it exist ? Thanks by advance for replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2
    Tough to answer without checking the DS of a bunch of processors - Digikey sort may help

Do you just want the processor - for a product development, or is this a one off build - although a Dev Kit would help with both.

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Does that mean you want to process the whole array from input time domain data to output frequency domain data once every 1/20MHz = 50ns? That's pretty fast for a simple processor, IMO. There may be some purpose-built chips that can be used to pipeline and accelerate the transform, though.

EDIT -- Or do you mean you just want your hardware clock for this processing to run at 20MHz? How often do you need for the FFT to complete?

5. Dec 14, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

6. Dec 14, 2016 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

If the 20MHz is the data acquisition rate, then it can be done continuously on an Intel CPU in a PC.
    There is code available for FPGAs that will generate pipelined parallel FFT processors for the highest speeds.

7. Dec 15, 2016 #6
    Thanks for your replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted