What is the Difference Between FFT Scaling and Analytical Fourier Transform?

In summary, the difference between the mathematical and numerical version of the FFT is the absence of the time-sampling step ##\Delta## in the latter. This is conventionally compensated by adding a factor ##1/N## in the inverse FFT to recover the original signal. When using a function like a Gaussian, ##h(t) = \exp(-(t-t_0)^2 / 2 \sigma^2)##, the numerical version accurately recovers the frequency spectrum ##H(f)## from ##\Delta \times H_k##, regardless of the number of points ##N##. However, when using a function like a Dirac delta, ##h(t) = \exp(2 \pi i \nu t)##,
DrClaude
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
How does the scaling of the numerical output of a forward FFT compare to the mathematical definition of the Fourier transform?
When considering the forward FFT of a mathematical function sampled at times ##t = 0, \Delta, \ldots, (N-1) \Delta##, following the usual convention, we have something like
$$
H(f) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} h(t) e^{-2 \pi i f t} dt \quad \Rightarrow \quad H_k = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} h_n e^{-2 \pi i f t} = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} h_n e^{-2 \pi i k n / N}
$$
The difference between the mathematical and numerical version is the absence in the latter of the time-sampling step ##\Delta##. (Conventionally, this is compensated by adding a factor ##1/N## in the inverse FFT, to recover the original signal.)

This appears to work with a function like a Gaussian, ##h(t) = \exp(-(t-t_0)^2 / 2 \sigma^2)##, where ##H(f)## is recovered from ##\Delta \times H_k##, independently of the number of points ##N##.

However, if I take ##h(t) = \exp(2 \pi i \nu t)##, which mathematically transforms to a Dirac delta, I recover ##H_k##'s that are all zeros except for ##k = j \equiv \nu N \Delta ## (assuming that ##\nu## is indeed chosen to be one of the discrete frequencies of the spectrum), and the value of ##H_j## is exactly ##N##, independently of ##\Delta##. Why is that?

Technology news on Phys.org
I am not following you down to the last detail - but let me take a shot at it anyway.
I believe the Dirac function you are using is (mathematically) zero at all values except one - and at that one exception it is 1. The pulse width is thus zero, and the power at all frequencies is zero. So if the FFT correctly modeled it, it would produce all zeroes.

Instead the FFT is working on a different assumption - that this pulse has a non-zero pulse width.

For practical uses, converting a real-life function into a series of discrete samples is best done by averaging over ##\Delta## - rather than strictly sampling.

Last edited:
.Scott said:
I believe the Dirac function you are using is (mathematically) zero at all values except one - and at that one exception it is 1.

Actually the Dirac delta function is (heuristically) infinite at the one point where it's not zero (the point where its argument is zero). The defining property of the Dirac delta function is that its integral over the range ##- \infty## to ##\infty## is 1.

Mathematical purists would state this as the Delta not being a well-defined function at all, but rather a distribution.

Likes scottdave
Edited to fix the time/frequency/spatial terminology:
---------------------

So of the steps you are taking, I am not fully following.
So let me do my "FFT of Delta" experiment, and perhaps you can reply with similar detail.

I realize "time" and "frequency" are just special case applications for the FFT, but they might make some of the dialog easier.

So your h(t) is you time-domain function - your Dirac function.
And your H(t) is your frequency-domain function - the results of the FFT.

I am using Matlab. I realize you are not generating your Dirac this way - but here's my way:
Code:
ht_tm=[1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0];
ht_fr=fft(ht_tm);
This gets me an FFT (ht_tm) of all ones.
If I divide by sqrt(N) = 4, I get a total power of 1 - which is what I started with. So I am happy.

You are using h(t)=exp(2πiνt)h(t)=exp⁡(2πiνt). So I am not doing exactly what you are doing.

Last edited:
.Scott said:
So your h(x) is you spatial-domain function - your Dirac function.

No. There is no ##h(x)## anywhere in his post. He's transforming between the time domain and the frequency domain. The time domain function he has a question about is ##h(t) = \exp(2 \pi i \nu t)##.

.Scott said:
And your H(t) is your time-domain function - the results of the FFT.

No. The result of the Fourier transform is a frequency domain function ##H(f)##. The Fourier transform (by the continuous integral method) of ##h(t) = \exp(2 \pi i \nu t)## is ##H(f) = \delta(f - \nu)##.

DrClaude said:
The difference between the mathematical and numerical version is the absence in the latter of the time-sampling step ##\Delta##.

I think you mean the absence in the former, i.e., in the ##H(f)## obtained from the integral.

DrClaude said:
if I take ##h(t) = \exp(2 \pi i \nu t)##, which mathematically transforms to a Dirac delta, I recover ##H_k##'s that are all zeros except for ##k = j \equiv \nu N \Delta## (assuming that ##\nu## is indeed chosen to be one of the discrete frequencies of the spectrum), and the value of ##H_j## is exactly ##N##, independently of ##\Delta##. Why is that?

What values are you using for ##h_n##?

Also, I don't understand what you mean by "one of the discrete frequencies of the spectrum". There is no "spectrum" in your ##h(t)## here; it's just one frequency, ##\nu##. So that ##\nu##, a constant, is what appears in the FFT formulas.

I have corrected my bad terminology.

For FFT, the Dirac function will yield a "spectrum" in the sense that there will be many occupied bins in the frequency domain.
For the specific example I gave, every frequency bin is occupied.

But I want to know exactly what is in @DrClaude 's discrete time-domain array. Is it all zeros and one non-zero value (similar to mine)?
The reason this is important is because there is no good way to represent the Delta function in a discrete array - and whatever method is used to approximate it will result in artifacts.

Part of the issue is that you are dealing with a function that is heavy with high-frequency components. What the FFT is really operating on is a periodic function - one that has a pulse every N ##\Delta##'s.

Last edited:
I never trust the transfer function of an FFT as it is dependent on the algorithm and the size of the data set. Also the gain of the DC = Cos( zero ) term can often be different to AC terms.

The only way to be sure is to Slowly-Fourier-Synthesis a known amplitude sinewave, at an integer frequency, then FFT to identify the transform gain. Also check the DC gain.

Obviously different window functions change the gain by scaling the data, but they also convolute energy into adjacent bins which confuses the transfer function for real data with non-integer frequencies.

Most applications of the FFT can ignore the amplitude scale factor, and save time.

Yes. The windowing function is what you normally apply to your FFT output to avoid the problem with ambiguous high frequencies. It is usually 1 for most values and tails off to about zero at the ends of the FFT array. For the delta function, the windowing function is problematic.

.Scott said:
I want to know exactly what is in @DrClaude 's discrete time-domain array. Is it all zeros and one non-zero value (similar to mine)?

It shouldn't be, since that's not what you get if you evaluate his ##h(t)## at a series of discrete values of ##t## separated by ##\Delta##.

I asked @DrClaude in my last post to explicitly give the discrete time-domain array he is using.

PeterDonis said:
I don't understand what you mean by "one of the discrete frequencies of the spectrum".

I think I do now; this statement by @.Scott made the light bulb go on in my head:

.Scott said:
there is no good way to represent the Delta function in a discrete array

The obvious way is all of the values zero except one (which is what @DrClaude is saying he gets--all of his ##H_k##'s are zero except the one corresponding to ##\nu##). The problem is what the one non-zero value should be (since in the continuous case it's infinity, as I said in an earlier post).

But the "discrete array" here, I assume, is what @DrClaude meant by "discrete frequencies of the spectrum": you have to discretize the frequency range, so if you're trying to FFT a wave with a single frequency ##\nu##, you have to make sure that ##\nu## is one of the discrete frequencies in the set you are using to discretize the frequency range.

.Scott said:
Yes. The windowing function is what you normally apply to your FFT output to avoid the problem with ambiguous high frequencies. It is usually 1 for most values and tails off to about zero at the ends of the FFT array. For the delta function, the windowing function is problematic.
Well not quite, you have it backwards. The window function is applied to the input before the FFT. It does two things. Firstly, it eliminates the sudden step where the extreme ends of the cycle meet, so it removes the inherent high-frequency step noise from the spectrum. Secondly, it convolutes the input signal, which is widened so it falls into two or more bins, and not into the deep null between two bins where it could disappear completely.

Frequency analysis involves multiplying the input signal by all possible waves to detect by correlation. The FFT is therefore a harmonic mixer, so an anti-aliasing filter is needed to remove all frequency components above half the sampling frequency. That is done before the window is applied, to eliminate the harmonics of valid signals from being folded back around the spectrum as aliases.

Likes Dr_Nate
Here is an excerpt from the User's Manual for the Trilib DSP library from Infineon:
Windowing: In the windowing method, an initial impulse response is derived by taking the Inverse Discrete Fourier Transform (IDFT) of the desired frequency response. Then, the impulse response is refined by applying a data window to it.
Note that the window is applied after the DSP. It has to be because it is specified in the frequency domain.

So here is the full signal treatment:
1) Apply a low pass filter to the raw analog signal - aiming for no more than half the sampling frequency as you cut-off frequency.
2) Digitize the signal.
3) Process it through an FFT
4) Apply the window.

However:
This thread has prompted me to look at a wider range of the use of the "windowing" method. It exists outside of the scope of the FFT. Only within the scope of FFT does it apply to frequency domain - and even then, inconsistently so.
So it boils down to what you are trying to do with the signal. In a situation where you have access to the analog signal before it is digitized, there is no sense in applying the window in the time domain. Otherwise, applying it in the time domain can be useful - especially when that window contains only real values (no imaginary part) and it avoids further windowing in the frequency domain.

.Scott said:
Here is an excerpt from the User's Manual for the Trilib DSP library from Infineon:
Windowing: In the windowing method, an initial impulse response is derived by taking the Inverse Discrete Fourier Transform (IDFT) of the desired frequency response. Then, the impulse response is refined by applying a data window to it.
Note that the window is applied after the DSP. It has to be because it is specified in the frequency domain.
No, you have misread the quote. In that example,
  1. You take the desired frequency response (in the frequency domain), apply an inverse DFT to get an initial impulse response (in the time domain)
  2. You multiply the initial impulse response by a window (in the time domain).
In the context of DFTs, windows are always applied in the time domain.

DrClaude said:
Summary:: How does the scaling of the numerical output of a forward FFT compare to the mathematical definition of the Fourier transform?
Are we to worry about (1)going from a continuous Fourier transform to a discrete one or (2) use of the Fast Fourier transform method to compute the discrete Fourier transform?

It seems to me to be getting mixed up and they are distinct questions.

DrClaude said:
This appears to work with a function like a Gaussian, ##h(t) = \exp(-(t-t_0)^2 / 2 \sigma^2)##, where ##H(f)## is recovered from ##\Delta \times H_k##, independently of the number of points ##N##.
Just to be clear, when you sum over all the bins in the frequency domain for the Gaussian ##H(f)##, you don't get ##N##?

Last edited:
Great detailed response, except I'm pretty sure Shannon and Nyquist would disagree with you about this:
Baluncore said:
...not into the deep null between two bins where it could disappear completely.

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
it convolutes the input signal, which is widened so it falls into two or more bins, and not into the deep null between two bins where it could disappear completely.
Without windowing, a signal at a frequency between two bins doesn't vanish ar all; it is spread out over a larger number of bins; the window reduces the spreading,

DrGreg said:
the window reduces the spreading,
This is not true. That’s like getting more information than is available from your data.

Think about applying a rectangle function that truncates your data. Or think about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. If you apply a window to localize your data, the alternate domain must spread out.

The purpose of this window functions is apodization. Getting rid of the “feet” around peaks and cleaning up the noise from aliasing so to our eyes we can better visualize the data. I think this is what you meant to convey.

Last edited:
OK, so the energy cannot completely disappear, the energy is redistributed in the spectrum. Like a tube of toothpaste, if you squeeze it at one end, it will come out somewhere else.

An input frequency midway between two bins implies a maximum step at the ends of the cycle, so windowing lowers the noise floor by removing that step, which in a sense is a reduction or a narrowing of the spectrum.

At the same time, multiplication by the window function in the time domain, is convolution in the frequency domain. As the time domain windows used are fundamentally a single cycle, the convolution adds one bin to either side of the response peak. So window convolution widens the response, usually from two bins to four or more bins. Just what the window does is determined by the spectrum of the time domain window selected and the exact frequency of the signal, but it effectively spreads or partitions available energy into adjacent bins that were once skirt.

So windowing does two opposite things, it reduces the broadband noise floor, while at the same time it widens and lowers the peak of the response, both of which smooth the spectrum. Because the local spreading of energy reduces the peak value detected, depending on application, it may require the transform gain be recalibrated.

There are too many places to squeeze the toothpaste tube. There is the top of the peak, the skirts, or the high frequency noise floor.
You can usually find a window function that will convolve the input energy into any spectrum you might want as an output. You cannot be truly good, unless you have bad thoughts, and can resist them.

DrGreg said:
No, you have misread the quote. In that example,
  1. You take the desired frequency response (in the frequency domain), apply an inverse DFT to get an initial impulse response (in the time domain)
  2. You multiply the initial impulse response by a window (in the time domain).
In the context of DFTs, windows are always applied in the time domain.
Actually, since the FT and DFT are essentially symmetric, a window can be applied in either domain. One application where a window is applied in the frequency domain is in radar signal processing, where it is used to reduce so-called range sidelobes (time corresponds to range in radar).

Last edited:
Dr_Nate said:
This is not true. That’s like getting more information than is available from your data.

Think about applying a rectangle function that truncates your data. Or think about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. If you apply a window to localize your data, the alternate domain must spread out.

The purpose of this window functions is apodization. Getting rid of the “feet” around peaks and cleaning up the noise from aliasing so to our eyes we can better visualize the data. I think this is what you meant to convey.
Apodization can't fix aliasing. It's used to reduce sidelobe levels, which can lead to a host of ills when performing spectral analysis including: "straddle loss," energy leakage into neighboring bins (sometimes referred to as the "Picket Fence" distortion), and the masking of weak spectral lines by spillover from nearby strong ones.

The downsides of windowing are: broadening of the main peak (someone correctly mentioned energy conservation--energy from the sidelobes ends up in the main peak), arbitrary deprecation of signal content at the beginning and end of the data record, and the lack of any rigorous basis (it's an ad-hoc band aid, which is one reason that dozens of different windows have been invented and used).

marcusl said:
Apodization can't fix aliasing.
That's right. I got confused. I even just mentioned the Nyquist theorem. With this example, apodization happens in the time-domain. Low-pass filters belong in the frequency domain.

Thanks to all that replied, but the discussion didn't go in the direction I was aiming for. That said, I think I have found the solution, in particular thanks to @PeterDonis in post #3 that made me focus on the aspects of the Dirac delta. Below, I will restate the problem with examples so everything is clear.

Consider the Gaussian function ##h(t) = (\pi \sigma^2)^{-1/2} \exp(-(t-t_0)^2/\sigma^2)##. Let's transform it using the FFT and compare the results for different sampling rates ##\Delta t## and number of points ##N##:
Matlab:
N = 1024;
dt = 1/N;
t = 0:dt:1-dt;
t0 = .5;
sigma2 = (16 * dt)^2;
norm = 1 / sqrt (pi * sigma2);
h = norm * exp (-(t - t0).^2 / sigma2);
H = fft(h);
H(1)
ans =  1024
Matlab:
N = 2048;
dt = 1/(N/2);
t = 0:dt:2-dt;
t0 = .5;
sigma2 = (16 * dt)^2;
H = fft(h);
H(1)
ans =  1024
Matlab:
N = 2048;
dt = 1/N;
t0 = .5;
sigma2 = (16 * dt)^2;
H = fft(h);
H(1)
ans =  2048
The first two cases use the same ##\Delta t## but a different ##N##, and the answer is the same. Comparing the last two cases, we see that same ##N## bit different ##\Delta t## gives a different scaling. To recover the same scaling as the mathematical case, we need to multiply the result of the FFT by ##\Delta t##, as in my post #1.Consider now the function ##h(t) = \exp(-2 \pi i f t)##. Again, let's transform it using the FFT and compare the results for different sampling rates ##\Delta t## and number of points ##N##:
Matlab:
N = 1024;
dt = 1/N;
f = 4;
h = exp(2 * pi * i * f * t);
H = fft(h);
H(1:8)
ans =
 Columns 1 and 2:
  -3.8085e-14 + 8.2337e-15i  -5.6050e-14 - 5.6177e-15i
 Columns 3 and 4:
  -7.9501e-14 + 2.6375e-15i  -1.5801e-13 + 2.9424e-15i
 Columns 5 and 6:
   1.0240e+03 - 4.5938e-13i   1.6074e-13 + 3.1842e-15i
 Columns 7 and 8:
   7.6452e-14 + 8.8088e-16i   5.7424e-14 - 5.9275e-15i
Matlab:
N = 2048;
dt = 1/(N/2);
t = 0:dt:2-dt;
f = 4;
H = fft(h);
H(1:16)
ans =
 Columns 1 and 2:
  -9.2786e-15 + 5.7537e-15i  -5.7238e-14 + 5.7350e-14i
 Columns 3 and 4:
  -1.2683e-13 + 1.1743e-14i  -1.2466e-13 + 1.2523e-14i
 Columns 5 and 6:
  -1.6657e-13 + 2.6473e-14i  -2.2042e-13 - 7.1758e-15i
 Columns 7 and 8:
  -3.0651e-13 + 5.6659e-15i  -6.4047e-13 + 9.3314e-15i
 Columns 9 and 10:
   2.0480e+03 - 1.9989e-12i   6.4303e-13 + 1.1222e-14i
 Columns 11 and 12:
   3.1166e-13 + 8.0520e-15i   2.2321e-13 - 9.5963e-15i
 Columns 13 and 14:
   1.6746e-13 + 2.1866e-14i   1.2470e-13 + 1.2386e-14i
 Columns 15 and 16:
   1.2610e-13 + 1.3216e-14i   5.6498e-14 + 5.5692e-14i
Matlab:
N = 2048;
dt = 1/N;
f = 4;
H = fft(h);
H(1:8)
ans =
 Columns 1 and 2:
  -7.7900e-14 + 1.0295e-14i  -1.1034e-13 - 5.8091e-15i
 Columns 3 and 4:
  -1.5691e-13 + 6.5048e-15i  -3.1835e-13 + 4.1198e-15i
 Columns 5 and 6:
   2.0480e+03 - 1.0105e-12i   3.2215e-13 + 4.7495e-15i
 Columns 7 and 8:
   1.5294e-13 + 7.5246e-16i   1.1180e-13 - 4.4143e-15i
We see that the result is indeed a Dirac delta, with a single frequency containing a non-zero element. The value of that non-zero element is ##N##, irrespective of the value of ##\Delta t##. So, what is going on?

Using the properties of the Dirac delta, the integral of the frequency spectrum should be 1. We approximate it by a sum:
$$
\int H(f) df \approx \sum_{k} (\Delta t \times H_k) \Delta f = \Delta t \times H_j \frac{1}{N \Delta t} = \frac{H_j}{N}
$$
where ##H_j## is the non-zero element of the FFT and I have added the ##\Delta t## in front of ##H_k## following what I found for the Gaussian.

The conclusion is that indeed the Dirac delta must be scaled with ##N## to recover the correct mathematical Fourier transform.

Likes Paul Colby
From a practical viewpoint, when using someone else's FFT code, I input a sine wave of known frequency and amplitude. Then I simply scale the FFT output by the factor needed to give the known amplitude.

Likes DrGreg, hutchphd and Baluncore
As a point of information, a sampled data sequence containing a single one and otherwise zeroes is called a unit impulse. Dirac's delta function always refers to the continuous generalized function that is defined as the limit of a distribution and has an infinite amplitude at zero.

Dr. Courtney said:
From a practical viewpoint, when using someone else's FFT code, I input a sine wave of known frequency and amplitude. Then I simply scale the FFT output by the factor needed to give the known amplitude.

I should also mention that my students and I use some variations on this theme as means to validate any Fourier transform code we use. (Trust but verify when it comes to computer programs.) We input a short series of sine and/or cosine terms with known frequencies, amplitudes, and phases and check the results against the expectations. We also commonly add various amounts of Gaussian noise to see how the code response to known signal and known (but variable) amounts of noise. Not all Fourier transform codes are equal when it comes to recovering the signal from the noise. All the coding tricks and analytical variations are best studied when one knows a priori what the signal looks like. This gives a much better idea what may be happening when one does not know a priori what the signal looks like.

For example, the figure below compares Fourier transforms of a series of 5 cosine terms with frequencies of 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 times sqrt(2) and amplitudes of 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, respectively. Note that the EI (explicit integration) technique yields the expected amplitudes accurately, but that the amplitudes from the FFT method are systematically low. The reasons for this are well understood and explained in the paper from which the figure is taken. (https://arxiv.org/pdf/1507.01832.pdf ). A fact that is often neglected (and not mentioned in the paper) is that changing the window function applied to the data will also change the size of the Fourier transform amplitudes. When a window function is applied to time series data prior to computing a Fourier transform, the scale factor needs to be changed if one wants to recover accurate amplitudes.

Fig 1 A More Accurate Fourier Transform.JPG

Last edited:
Likes Dale

What is the difference between FFT scaling and analytical FT?

FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) scaling is a technique used to adjust the amplitude of the output of a FFT algorithm to match the amplitude of the input signal. Analytical FT (Fourier Transform) is a mathematical method used to decompose a signal into its frequency components. The main difference between the two is that FFT scaling is a practical implementation of the mathematical concept of FT.

Which method is more accurate, FFT scaling or analytical FT?

Both methods are accurate, but FFT scaling is considered more accurate in most cases. This is because FFT scaling takes into account the sampling rate and the number of samples, which can result in a more precise representation of the input signal.

When should I use FFT scaling and when should I use analytical FT?

FFT scaling is typically used when analyzing a digital signal with a finite number of samples, while analytical FT is used for continuous signals. FFT scaling is also more suitable for real-time analysis, as it is a faster algorithm compared to analytical FT.

What are the advantages of using FFT scaling over analytical FT?

FFT scaling is a faster and more efficient algorithm, making it ideal for real-time analysis. It also takes into account the sampling rate and number of samples, resulting in a more accurate representation of the input signal. Additionally, FFT scaling is easier to implement compared to analytical FT, making it a popular choice for digital signal analysis.

Are there any drawbacks to using FFT scaling?

One drawback of FFT scaling is that it is limited to signals with a finite number of samples. It also assumes that the signal is periodic, which may not always be the case. In some cases, FFT scaling may also introduce artifacts or distortions in the output signal, especially if the sampling rate is not properly taken into account.