Fibonacci Induction Proof: Step-by-Step Guide for n >= 1 | Easy Tutorial

In summary, the homework statement states that if Fibonacci is true for a number n, then the following equation is true: \sum_{i = 1} ^ n fib^2(n) = fib(n) * fib(n + 1))
teppel

Homework Statement

Hi may i know how 2 start with this proof by induction of fibonacci .
For n >= 1
[tex]
\sum_{i = 1} ^ n fib^2(n) = fib(n) * fib(n + 1)}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First step - Basic step i sub 1 to the equation.
Then i get
fib(1)^2 = fib(1) * fib(2)
1^2 = 1*1
1 = 1 (proof)

Second step i need to sub n - 1 into the equation. But i stuck at this step, anyone can guide me along how to continue ? Maybe can give me some link or tutorial on the induction. Because i still quite blur at how the proof by induction work. I google about the topic, but the examples still too hard for me to understand.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
teppel said:

Homework Statement

Hi may i know how 2 start with this proof by induction of fibonacci .
For n >= 1
[tex]
\sum_{i = 1} ^ n fib^2(n) = fib(n) * fib(n + 1)}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First step - Basic step i sub 1 to the equation.
Then i get
1^2 = 1*1
1 = 1 (proof)

Second step i need to sub n - 1 into the equation. But i stuck at this step, anyone can guide me along how to continue ? Maybe can give me some link or tutorial on the induction. Because i still quite blur at how the proof by induction work. I google about the topic, but the examples still too hard for me to understand.
Thanks in advance.
It helps to use a different variable, say k.

Your next step is to assume that the statement is true for n = k. IOW, assume that the following is true.

[tex]
\sum_{i = 1} ^ k fib^2(k) = fib(k) * fib(k + 1)
[/tex]

Finally, show that the statement is true for n = k + 1, using the previous assumption (the induction hypothesis).
[tex]
\sum_{i = 1} ^{k + 1} fib^2(k + 1) = fib(k + 1) * fib(k + 2)
[/tex]

Mark44 said:
It helps to use a different variable, say k.

Your next step is to assume that the statement is true for n = k. IOW, assume that the following is true.

[tex]
\sum_{i = 1} ^ k fib^2(k) = fib(k) * fib(k + 1)
[/tex]

Finally, show that the statement is true for n = k + 1, using the previous assumption (the induction hypothesis).
[tex]
\sum_{i = 1} ^{k + 1} fib^2(k + 1) = fib(k + 1) * fib(k + 2)
[/tex]

Haha. Thanks for the help, i try to figure out. Do u have any tutorial or simple example link for me to start researching on ? Because i can't find a simple version of induction online. Whenever i do a search, it just return me tons of words.

On wikipedia.org search for "mathematical induction"

Mark44 said:
On wikipedia.org search for "mathematical induction"

Thanks for the help

Hi, after some thoughts. i not sure whether i got the logic right anot. Please point to me if there any error

[tex]\sum_{i = 1} ^ n fib^2(n) = fib(n) * fib(n + 1)}[/tex]

After basic step - which i sub 1 into the equation, mention b4 at the above post
Then i get
1^2 = 1*1
1 = 1 (proof)

Induction step
I use k - 1 instead of k because of my lecturer preference. No error with it right ?
[tex]\sum_{i = 1} ^{k - 1} fib^2(k - 1) = fib(k - 1) * fib(k)[/tex]

mine Logic is
fib(k - 1) x fib(k) + (fib(k) x fib(k - 1) - fib(k - 1) x fib(k)) = fib(k) x fib(k + 1)

I add the different between fib(k) and fib(k - 1) to fib(k - 1).
But how i going to extend the above sentence. i can to a fibonacci equation on those k and k + 1. As they are not number. Anyone can give me some lights to continue ?

What is "Fib proof by induction"?

"Fib proof by induction" is a mathematical method used to prove the validity of a statement or proposition for all natural numbers. It is based on the principle of mathematical induction, which states that if a statement is true for the first natural number (n=1) and if assuming it is true for any natural number k, it is also true for the next natural number (k+1), then the statement is true for all natural numbers.

How is "Fib proof by induction" used to prove the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. To prove the validity of this sequence using "Fib proof by induction," we would first show that the statement is true for n=1 and then assume it is true for n=k. By using the principle of induction, we can then show that it must also be true for n=k+1, thereby proving the validity of the entire sequence.

What is the significance of using "Fib proof by induction" in mathematics?

"Fib proof by induction" is a powerful tool in mathematics as it allows for the proof of statements or propositions for an infinite number of cases. This method is particularly useful for proving the validity of complex mathematical formulas or sequences, such as the Fibonacci sequence.

What are the steps involved in a "Fib proof by induction"?

The steps involved in a "Fib proof by induction" are as follows:

1. Show that the statement is true for the first natural number (n=1).
  2. Assume that the statement is true for n=k.
  3. Use the assumption to prove that the statement is also true for n=k+1.
  4. Conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

Are there any limitations to "Fib proof by induction"?

While "Fib proof by induction" is a powerful method, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can only be used to prove statements or propositions for natural numbers. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for proving more complex mathematical concepts that cannot be easily broken down into a sequence of numbers.