Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fiber Load in a Composite

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    Hello there,

I am wondering if some specilalist would point in me in the direction of procedures to determine the load in a fiber in a composite material made of aligned fibers (let's say at alternating angles $$+/- \alpha$$).
    I understand you could simply compute the strain in a convenient direction for a "homogenized" composite material, rotate in the fiber direction to obtain the strain in the fiber direction, but I am not so sure about the accuracy of this procedure.
    I am looking for analytical solutions, and I am interested in Industry standards too. I am surprised how difficult it is tio find something.

Many thanks and have a good day

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2
    Experimental Characterization of Advanced Composite Materials, Third Edition by Leif Carlsson, Donald F. Adams and R. Byron Pipes (Oct 29, 2002)

4. May 3, 2013 #3
    The approach you mentioned is part of Classical Laminate Theory (or Classical Laminate Analysis). It's usually covered in a basic intro to composites course, so I think it's the standard starting point for composite analysis.

I work in aerospace doing composite stress analysis and we use NX Nastran for our structural analysis. I'm pretty sure that when you define plies for plate elements, it uses this technique or a variation on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook