Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fiber optic cabling

  1. Feb 11, 2004 #1
    Does any body know what the SC and ST connectors stand for [?]

    thanks joe
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2004 #2
    The ST and SC fiber cables are the difference in the connectors on the end.
    -ST connector is round and looks like a BNC connector (push and twist).
    This page has a pic of an ST connector: http://www.datapro.net/products/1441.html
    -SC connector is rectangular (slide in slot).
    This page has a pic of an SC connector: http://www.datapro.net/products/1443.html
    (There are links on those pages with other types of connectors as well.)

    More info you didn't ask for...
    Two main catagories of fiber cables:
    ->Single-mode fibers have small cores (about 3.5 x 10-4 inches or 9 microns in diameter) and transmit infrared laser light (wavelength = 1,300 to 1,550 nanometers).

    ->Multi-mode fibers have larger cores (about 2.5 x 10-3 inches or 62.5 microns in diameter) and transmit infrared light (wavelength = 850 to 1,300 nm) from light-emitting diodes (LEDs).

  4. Feb 14, 2004 #3
    Thanks J Man
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook