1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fiber Optics

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    Why is it that we are able to use a laser beam with optical fiber but not with a white light source?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    We need lights with monowavelength

4. Feb 29, 2008 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure what you mean- I couple a halogen light and a Mercury arc lamp into a fiber on my microscope.

There are many kinds of fibers- single mode, multimode, light guides, bandgap, polarization-maintaining, etc. etc. etc.

A single-mode fiber is what most people associate with "optical fiber", and single-mode means a single transverse mode, which restricts the waveband. Multimode fibers can support a much broader waveband range, light guides (what I use with the halogen bulb/arc lamp) are not much more than "light pipes", and photonic bandgap fiber is really cool.

There's some technical issues with how to couple the light into a fiber, but it's sort of possible to couple nearly any source to any fiber- what light actually propogates down the fiber will depend on the fiber.

5. Feb 29, 2008 #4
    Thank you pixel01 and Andy Resnick. I understand better now :)

6. Mar 1, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Chickenlittle.
    I have to assume here that you're refering to information transmission. Any kind of light will propogate through an optical fibre, as you can easily see by looking at a fibre optic lamp. A modulated source is needed for any sort of information transfer. You can transmit Morse code just by turning a light bulb on and off. For the complexity of high-speed digital transfer, a coherent source is more readily controllable and more accurate.

7. Mar 2, 2008 #6

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

It is also much easier to couple light into a fibre (with efficiency) using a laser source that it is with using other types of sources.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook