Solving the Equation: (1 + ~5/2)^2 = (1 - ~5/2) + 1

• Thread starter AAZZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, Legend: ~ = root sign e.g. ~10 = Root 10 ^ = powere.g. ^2 = power of 2The equation is:(1 + ~5/2)^2 = (1 - ~5/2) + 1
AAZZ
Legend: ~ = root sign
e.g. ~10 = Root 10
^ = power
e.g. ^2 = power of 2

The equation is:

Show that (1 + ~5/2) ^ 2 = (1 - ~5/2) +1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Legend: ^ = power
e.g. ^2 = power of 2

I did the following:

(1 + ~5/2)^2
(1 + ~5/2) (1 + ~5/2)

1^2 + (~5)^2 + 2 ~5

1 + 5 + 2 ~5

6 + 2 ~5

Am I going the right way? At the end, I am still unable to prove that both are equal to each other.

The original statement:

[tex] ( 1 + \frac{ \sqrt{5}}{2} ) ^2 = ( 1 - \frac{ \sqrt{5}}{2} ) + 1 [/tex]

is not true. So, unfortunately, showing that it is true will be impossible.

However, if you change the + sign on the left side to a - sign, and put the 1's in the numerators, you'll have more luck.

[tex] ( \frac{ 1 - \sqrt{5}}{2} ) ^2 = ( \frac{ 1 - \sqrt{5}}{2} ) + 1 [/tex]

Last edited:
How so? What is the reason? I don't only want the answer, I want to understand the statement. Please explain if you don't mind. :)

But my teacher said it is. These are Fibonacci Numbers. Numbers that repeat themselves. I think I'm going nuts.

"The Fibonacci Sequence is 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,... It is based on the idealized reproduction rate of little rabits. It is named after the first known to have devised it.

For centures it had recursive difinition only. The definition is:
a1=1; a2=1; an+1=an + an-1"

AAZZ said:
But my teacher said it is.

I heard a teacher tell his kids the other day that 0 is not a real number since you can't divide by it, and that vairables that are represented by different letters (like x, y and z) cannot be the same numbers.

Teachers are not always right.

The number you are working with is called the golden mean. It's numerical value is:

[tex] \frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2} [/tex]

It is one of two values (the other has a - sign) that have the following property: they satisfy the equation:

[tex] x^2 = x + 1 [/tex]

That is, when you square the number, you get the same thing as when you just add 1. Notice the structure of this equation compared to that of your numerical statement. It's not the same.

Last edited:
plug in the left and right side of the equation. They equal different things. I encourage you to convert your equation to LaTeX so as to not confuse, also.

Last edited by a moderator:
vsage said:
plug in the left and right side of the equation. They equal different things. I encourage you to convert your equation to LaTeX so as to not confuse.

Do you mean evaluate the left and right side of the equation in a calculator? What should he "plug in"? He sounds like a young kid, so I don't think he'll be learning LaTex overnight.

1. What is the equation (1 + ~5/2)^2 = (1 - ~5/2) + 1?

The equation (1 + ~5/2)^2 = (1 - ~5/2) + 1 is a mathematical equation that is used to solve for the value of a variable. It involves adding and subtracting fractions and finding the square of the resulting sum.

2. Why is this equation important in the field of science?

This equation is important in the field of science because it can be used to solve for unknown variables in various scientific equations. It is also a fundamental equation in algebra and is often used in higher level math and physics courses.

3. How do you solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you can begin by simplifying the fractions on both sides of the equation. Then, use the distributive property to expand the squared term. After that, combine like terms on both sides and isolate the variable by performing inverse operations. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Are there any specific steps or rules to follow when solving this equation?

Yes, there are specific steps and rules to follow when solving this equation. These include simplifying fractions, using the distributive property, combining like terms, and isolating the variable by performing inverse operations. It is also important to check your solution to ensure it is correct.

5. Can this equation be solved using a calculator?

Yes, this equation can be solved using a calculator. However, it is important to understand the steps and rules involved in solving the equation by hand before using a calculator. This will help in understanding the process and checking the accuracy of the calculator's solution.