1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fibonacci sequence

1. Nov 28, 2004 #1
    I was just working on proving the Fibonacci sequence and the Golden ratio i think, but i was having one problem.
    I was asked to prove that An=Bn, where An+2=An+1 + An (the fibonacci sequence) and that Bn=1/root5 [(1+root5/2)^n - (1 - root5/2)^n].
    I understood the whole problem and was half way in completing until i wasn't able to go any further. Knowin that the limit existed i came up with
    L=[1+/- root 5 ]/2
    then i was told that C+D=1 and C(L)+D(-L)=1, and by solving for C and D by these two equations, i would get
    Bn=1/root5 [(1+root5/2)^n - (1 - root5/2)^n].

But the values of C and D cancel out or i m getting like a zero for one of them. What did i do wrong, and what am i suppose to do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2004 #2

Hmmm,...i am not sure what you mean. Is this Bn :

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \left\{(1+\sqrt{\frac{5}{2}})^n - (1-\sqrt{\frac{5}{2}})^n \right\} [/tex]

Then you probably need to show whether Bn exhibits the caracteristics of a Fibonacci-series right???

marlon

4. Nov 28, 2004 #3
    no bn=1/root5[((1 + root5)/2)^n - ((1 - root5)/2)^n]

5. Nov 28, 2004 #4
    [tex]Bn =\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \left\{(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2})^n - (\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2})^n \right\} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?