Proving Fibonacci Sequence and Golden Ratio

• Thread starter matrix_204
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving proving the Fibonacci sequence and the Golden ratio. The person was asked to prove that An=Bn, and they understood the problem but got stuck halfway. They tried to solve for C and D, but the values cancelled out or resulted in zero. They are unsure of what they did wrong and what to do next. The conversation also includes a formula for Bn and a question about its characteristics as a Fibonacci series.
matrix_204
I was just working on proving the Fibonacci sequence and the Golden ratio i think, but i was having one problem.
I was asked to prove that An=Bn, where An+2=An+1 + An (the fibonacci sequence) and that Bn=1/root5 [(1+root5/2)^n - (1 - root5/2)^n].
I understood the whole problem and was half way in completing until i wasn't able to go any further. Knowin that the limit existed i came up with
L=[1+/- root 5 ]/2
then i was told that C+D=1 and C(L)+D(-L)=1, and by solving for C and D by these two equations, i would get
Bn=1/root5 [(1+root5/2)^n - (1 - root5/2)^n].

But the values of C and D cancel out or i m getting like a zero for one of them. What did i do wrong, and what am i suppose to do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
matrix_204 said:
I was just working on proving the Fibonacci sequence and the Golden ratio i think, but i was having one problem.
I was asked to prove that An=Bn, where An+2=An+1 + An (the fibonacci sequence) and that Bn=1/root5 [(1+root5/2)^n - (1 - root5/2)^n].
I understood the whole problem and was half way in completing until i wasn't able to go any further. Knowin that the limit existed i came up with
L=[1+/- root 5 ]/2
then i was told that C+D=1 and C(L)+D(-L)=1, and by solving for C and D by these two equations, i would get
Bn=1/root5 [(1+root5/2)^n - (1 - root5/2)^n].

But the values of C and D cancel out or i m getting like a zero for one of them. What did i do wrong, and what am i suppose to do next?

Hmmm,...i am not sure what you mean. Is this Bn :

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \left\{(1+\sqrt{\frac{5}{2}})^n - (1-\sqrt{\frac{5}{2}})^n \right\} [/tex]

Then you probably need to show whether Bn exhibits the caracteristics of a Fibonacci-series right?

marlon

no bn=1/root5[((1 + root5)/2)^n - ((1 - root5)/2)^n]

[tex]Bn =\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \left\{(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2})^n - (\frac{1-\sqrt{5}}{2})^n \right\} [/tex]

1. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a mathematical sequence that begins with 0 and 1, and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two numbers. So the sequence goes: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc.

2. What is the Golden Ratio?

The Golden Ratio, also known as the Divine Proportion, is a mathematical ratio of approximately 1.618. It is found in nature and has been studied for centuries for its aesthetic and mathematical properties.

3. How is the Golden Ratio related to the Fibonacci sequence?

The Golden Ratio is closely related to the Fibonacci sequence because as the numbers in the sequence get larger, the ratio between two consecutive numbers approaches the Golden Ratio. For example, 34 divided by 21 is approximately 1.619, very close to the Golden Ratio.

4. How is the Fibonacci sequence and Golden Ratio used in real life?

The Fibonacci sequence and Golden Ratio have been used in various fields such as art, architecture, music, and even in the stock market. They can also be found in natural phenomena such as the spiral patterns of shells and the branching of trees.

5. How can the Fibonacci sequence and Golden Ratio be proven?

The Fibonacci sequence and Golden Ratio can be proven through mathematical proofs and equations. One way to prove the relationship between the two is by using the Binet's formula, which relates the nth term in the Fibonacci sequence to the Golden Ratio.