Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fibonacci series

1. Mar 17, 2007 #1
    what is the history of it and how is it different from maclaurin and taylor series
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One is a sequence of integers, the other is an approximation of a function by a power series. How is bread different from music?

As I pointed out to yet another poster: JFGI. Inserting the words fibonnacci and sequence into a google search will give you a whole plethora of information - far more than anyone here could ever (be bothered to) write down.
  4. Mar 17, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That made my day!
  5. Mar 18, 2007 #4
    haha... or look up the breadfish, perhaps? :tongue:

In the movie Pi, the main guy gives a brief explanation on the fibonacci series to another character, explaining how it also relates to the golden ratio etc. And yes, as a movie, it's bound to have flaws in the accuracy of the actual maths presented. One of the equations written is apparently slightly erroneous, and I quote from imdb:

Max writes the golden ratio as (a/b) = (a/a+b). It should be a/b = (a+b)/a, if, by definition, a>b.

But hey, it may just be a more interesting approach in understanding this stuff than by laborously filtering through the googolplex. Pretty standard approach, heh. :wink: You can also get films, music--various symphonies-- set to the golden ratio. Amazing. Oh, the Parthenon too, but hey, that was one of many achievements set by the Greeks. Those Greeks... :rolleyes:
  6. Mar 18, 2007 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no evidence to support the assertion that phi, the golden ratio, is important in greek architecture, or anywhere else, for non-mathematical reasons. Indeed, there are many elegant rebuttals of all the abuses of phi that exist. It does occur in nature for very good and well understood reasons (it has the 'slowest' converging rational approximation, in a sense that can be made precise), but none that supports any suggestion that is aesthetically pleasing.

The reason it 'occurs' in the parthenon is becuase some people choose to measure some ratios from some not well chosen positions. There are many rations one can write down from the parthenon that are not phi, but those are all conveniently ignored.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  7. Mar 18, 2007 #6
    Could you make that more precise? :)
  8. Mar 18, 2007 #7
    The book The Golden Section: Nature's Greatest Secret by Scot Olsen is all about the subject. It is a very light read. You could probally finish it one afternoon at a bookstore.
  9. Mar 18, 2007 #8
    My wife knitted me a Fibonacci scarf the other day. You can view it here.
  10. Mar 19, 2007 #9
    please give a simple explanation
  11. Mar 19, 2007 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

12. Mar 19, 2007 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of what? The difference between Fibonnacci series and power series?

Here is the Fibonnacci sequence

if x(n) is the n'th term it satisfies the rule x(n)=x(n-1)+x(n-2), and x(1)=x(2)=1.

A Taylor seres looks like this:

sin(x)=x-x^3/3! +x^5/5! - .....

I don't see that there is anything that needs to be said to explain that they are different.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?