Amyloid Fibres: Understanding Elasticity & Bending Angles

In summary, the conversation discusses the study of amyloid fibres, specifically their bending behavior and the possibility of calculating their physical properties from this bending. The conversation also mentions relevant resources, such as articles and a freeware app, that provide information on the topic. The individual involved expresses gratitude for the help and contributions provided.
tribaggili
Hello,

I`m studying amyloid fibres, which are filamentous proteins that intertwine between them (from 2 to 4 and more) and form fibres (2-20nm thick). I see that when that below a threshold length, the fibre is linear, beyond the threshold length, the fibre bend always with the same, constant angle. My questions are:

-why does this happen?

-can I calculate the elastic modulus from the bending angle?

I`m not a physicist, trying to become a biophysicist, so any help will be very welcomed!

Thank you,
Andrea

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post a picture or clear drawing for us to understand this problem properly .

Here is a picture...on the right part there is a long fibre, with that constant bending, on the left part few small fibres, straight.

Thank you,
Andrea

Attachments

• fibres.jpg
    fibres.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 372
since the radius of curvature is small, it is possible that the bending can be appreciated only on long fibres, so maybe no different behaviour between short and long fibres...these fibres (short and long) are probably composed of 2-or more entwined filaments...my question is why they bend? and could I obtain physical properties from this bending? such as stiffness?

Andrea

tribaggili said:
Hello,

I`m studying amyloid fibres, which are filamentous proteins that intertwine between them (from 2 to 4 and more) and form fibres (2-20nm thick). I see that when that below a threshold length, the fibre is linear, beyond the threshold length, the fibre bend always with the same, constant angle. My questions are:

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking about the 'persistence length' of a polymer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_length

For amyloids in paerticular:

http://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.96.238301
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja206513r

Well, Nidum and Andy, I`m surprised how much you helped me, with your links I think I got all the theoretical and experimental information to properly interpret my fibres and understand their behaviour...I even found a freeware app, FiberApp, that runs with Matlab and should predict all the properties of amyloid fibrils...currently I`m trying to install it and hopefully it will works...so a big thank you for your work and very relevant contributions!

Andrea

Likes Andy Resnick

1. What are amyloid fibres?

Amyloid fibres are protein fibrils that are formed from the aggregation of misfolded proteins. These fibres are typically found in neurological disorders such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

2. How do amyloid fibres affect elasticity?

Amyloid fibres have a unique structural arrangement that allows them to be highly elastic. They can stretch and bend without breaking, making them ideal for use in tissues that experience constant mechanical stress, such as tendons and ligaments.

3. What factors influence the elasticity of amyloid fibres?

The elasticity of amyloid fibres is influenced by several factors, including the composition and sequence of the proteins that make up the fibres, as well as the environmental conditions in which they are formed.

4. How do scientists study the bending angles of amyloid fibres?

Scientists use various techniques such as atomic force microscopy and single-molecule force spectroscopy to study the bending angles of amyloid fibres. These techniques allow for the precise measurement of the mechanical properties of individual fibres.

5. What is the significance of understanding the elasticity and bending angles of amyloid fibres?

Understanding the mechanical properties of amyloid fibres is crucial in the development of treatments for diseases caused by their accumulation, as well as in the design of biomaterials for tissue engineering and other applications.