1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fibre Optic Amplifier Question

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    I am undertaking a question that requires me to calculate the number of optical amplifiers that are needed to ensure that a light signal is of sufficient enough power to be read and understood at the receiving end. I have the maximum potential power input, the minimum required output at the far end of the transmission cable, the dB loss over the entire link and its length. I have been pondering how to undertake this as I need to calculate how many amplifiers are required in order for the signal to reach the other end successfully. Each amplifier does not have any dB loss attributes associated with them and will only amplify the signal that is input by 350 times.

I am pretty stumpted, I have a few ideas as of what to do but I am not completely sure in which direction I should go, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?