Solving Electrochemistry Problems with Fick & Cottrell Laws

• Thread starter Chris-jap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between current density and concentration in electrochemistry, as well as Fick's Law and Cottrell Law. The conversation also included a discussion on finding the expression for C(r,t) for purely radial dependence and dC(r,t)/dr for r=R. The suggestion was made to ask for help in the math section for solving the differential equation for diffusion.
Chris-jap
Hello everybody
I have got an electrochemistry probleme
In the case of a planar electrode (one dimension) the current density is proportinnal to the concentration of electroactive species: i=-nFkC C depending of time
From Fick law dC/dt=Dd2C/d2x we can found Cottrell law: i=-nFAC0(D/PIt)1/2

Do tou know How?

And my second question is
What is the fick lack for spherical coordinate and what are the expression of C(t, spheric coordinate)
And also what is the new expression of Cottrell law?

Thank You for your attention and I apologize for my bad english.
Christophe

Physics news on Phys.org
With respect to Fick's Law - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fick's_law_of_diffusion

As for spherical coordinates, see -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabla_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates

For a purely radial dependency, use only the [tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial{r^2}}[/tex] term.

With regard to this question -
From Fick law dC/dt=Dd2C/d2x we can found Cottrell law: i=-nFAC0(D/PIt)1/2

Do tou know How?
Please clarify what one is asking. "Do you know how . . . ?"

Last edited:
Chris-jap said:
Hello everybody
I have got an electrochemistry probleme
In the case of a planar electrode (one dimension) the current density is proportinnal to the concentration of electroactive species: i=-nFkC C depending of time
Are you sure about this ?

I thought the current density was proportional to the concentration gradient dC(x,t)/dx

Last edited:
Thank you for your help
Your answer solve one part of my problem.
I made a mistake for the expression of current density, Goku you are right.

Thanks to you I solve one part of my problem

I found this solution for planar diffusion (not me, in a chemistry book)
C(x,t)=C0erf(x/(Dt)1/2)
and dC(x,t)/dx=C0/(PiDt)1/2 for x=0 replacing this term in the expression of current we found Cottrell law.

Now I try to found the expression of C(r,t) for a purely radial dependence and dC(r,t)/dr for r=R (R is the radius of the sphere, particles are inside the sphere and diffuse for the center to the border of the the sphere)

Do you have any other suggestion?

Chris

Chris-jap said:
Thank you for your help
Your answer solve one part of my problem.
I made a mistake for the expression of current density, Goku you are right.

Thanks to you I solve one part of my problem

I found this solution for planar diffusion (not me, in a chemistry book)
C(x,t)=C0erf(x/(Dt)1/2)
and dC(x,t)/dx=C0/(PiDt)1/2 for x=0 replacing this term in the expression of current we found Cottrell law.
Correct (if your initial condition is C(x,t=0) = C0 ).

Now I try to found the expression of C(r,t) for a purely radial dependence and dC(r,t)/dr for r=R (R is the radius of the sphere, particles are inside the sphere and diffuse for the center to the border of the the sphere)
This just looks like the 3D generalization of the previous 1D problem (with boundary conditions that require spherical symmetry). (ie : you are looking at 3D diffusion from a point source)

Perhaps the solution would look like dC(r,t)/dr = Kr2exp(r2/Pi*D*t) ?

You should probably ask a question in the math section (Calc and beyond) on methods for solving the differential equation for diffusion. They will be able to help better.

1. How do Fick's Laws relate to electrochemistry problems?

Fick's Laws describe the movement of substances, such as ions, through a medium. In electrochemistry, these laws are used to understand the diffusion of charged particles, which is critical in many electrochemical reactions.

2. What is the Cottrell Equation and how is it used in electrochemistry?

The Cottrell Equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the current response of an electrochemical system as a function of time. It is often used to determine the diffusion coefficient of a species in a solution.

3. Can Fick's Laws and the Cottrell Equation be applied to all electrochemical systems?

Yes, Fick's Laws and the Cottrell Equation can be applied to most electrochemical systems. However, they may not be accurate for systems with complex geometries or for reactions that involve multiple species.

4. How can Fick's Laws and the Cottrell Equation be used to optimize electrochemical processes?

By understanding the diffusion of ions and the current response of a system, Fick's Laws and the Cottrell Equation can be used to optimize electrochemical processes. This can include determining the optimal concentration or current for a reaction, or designing an electrode with a specific geometry to maximize efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fick's Laws and the Cottrell Equation in electrochemistry?

One limitation is that these laws assume ideal conditions, such as a uniform concentration gradient and no other competing reactions. In reality, electrochemical systems may have more complex dynamics that can affect the accuracy of these equations.