1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fick's Law of Diffusion

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Suppose that a tracheae is 1.17 mm long with a cross-sectional area of 1.01 x 10-9m2. The concentration of oxygen in the air outside the insect is 0.659 kg/m3, and the diffusion constant is 1.99 x 10-5 m2/s. If the mass per second of oxygen is diffusing through a trachea is 1.50 x 10-12 kg/s, then find the oxygen concentration at the interior end of the tube.

m= (DA(deltaC))t / L

I re-arranged the equation to solve for the change in concentration, (delta)C.
    deltaC = mL / DA. I know the given value for the outside concentration will be moved over to the other side. I think that the concentration given for the outside of the insect would be the same as initial concentration and the concentration I am solving for would be the final concentration but not exactly sure on this. So I added the concentration given to the other side of the equation to isolate the final concentration. I calculated this to be 8.73E8 kg/s, however this is incorrect. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You lost the 't' when re-arranging.

Using your formula and data, I make delta C to be 0.0873 kg/m3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook