Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fictional Question

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    Ya I got a question. Look see, I was wondeirng. There is this epsiode in Transformers where cybertron is about to crash into earth. Now, it probbaly has the mass of earth and size of the moon. Lets just use those variables for this. It was visibly bigger then the moon when it was crashing into earth, so much that it looked like this: http://www.camphortree.net/tf/tf-images/shot2.jpg before it was blown away. Ok, so heres a image: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...mfemaTaDVNhUXc1PjQClQytA&ust=1467169531865229

I wanna know how big of an explosion it would take to send it flying out of earths atmosphere and out of the solar system at a decent speed like in the episode? i dont know any physics. I wanna know how you got the answer, that is a lot of what interest me. I know there are a lot of variables here that need to be guessed and complex physics. But the episode is countdown to extinction if yall are wondering.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2
    There aren't really a lot of variables. It's Newtonian physics, you have a mass moving at a vector and you want to change the vector. Determine the force required to make the change.

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3
    but they are planets, which means relativity though right? they have references to eacxh toher. ok, maybe not. I dont know, I did not finish high school, I know I am dumb, but how would this be worked out??

5. Jun 28, 2016 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try the sci fi forum for such questions.

6. Jun 28, 2016 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I've moved the thread to the sci-fi forum.

7. Jun 28, 2016 #6
    well i reposted it though, but ok

8. Jun 28, 2016 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I've deleted the other thread. Just use this one.

9. Jun 28, 2016 #8
    ok

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted