The Psychology Behind the Fidget Spinner Craze

• Thread starter doglover9754
  • Start date
I guess the fidget spinner is more of a collector's item than a solution to fidgeting.In summary, the conversation discusses the addictiveness of fidget spinners and why they became popular. It is suggested that the spinning movement and the sensation it provides triggers the addiction, and the variety of fidget spinners available allows for a continuous desire to collect them all. The trend of fidget spinners suddenly stopped once people became used to the sensation, and it is compared to a collector's item rather than a solution to fidgeting.
doglover9754
So I finally got a fidget spinner, and now I realize how it is kinda addictive. Why? There could be many possibilities, but when I think about it, there could just be a general idea to why a fidget spinner (or maybe even a fidget cube) is so addictive. A fidget spinner is just a piece of plastic that has a ton (not a ton if you are thinking literally; just a lot) of ball bearings. So, why is that so addictive where as something similar to that like a bicycle tire, a fishing reel, etc. isn’t as addictive? Is it just the fact that it looks cool to some people so it becomes a habit to use it to look cool although it is really doing nothing? Also, are fidget spinners even solving the problem of people fidgeting? At school, when fidget spinners were a big thing, I noticed that even the kids that I knew really well, who didn’t have fidgeting problems started using a fidget spinner and they soon got attached to it. Now that it isn’t a big thing, I rarely see people using it. (Sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum... I honestly had no clue where to put it. You know, with my lack of knowledge as a middle schooler :-p)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is addictive because it is distractive and let's some fidgety fingers an opportunity to fidget with something.
I don't have one, but it was famous/popular half a year ago at my school. Waste of money. I never got one.

ISamson said:
Waste of money. I never got one.
I agree. Although, I won it as a prize for a fundraiser for my band so I’m fine with it...

doglover9754 said:
I agree. Although, I won it as a prize for a fundraiser for my band so I’m fine with it...

Nice!
If it is for free, then it is totally worth it! I wanted to get one, but was never attracted by them so much, so never did.

ISamson said:
Nice!
If it is for free, then it is totally worth it! I wanted to get one, but was never attracted by them so much, so never did.
Well, it was for free (for me), but technically my neighbors pretty much bought me a fidget spinner...

Likes ISamson
doglover9754 said:
So I finally got a fidget spinner, and now I realize how it is kinda addictive. Why?
This is more of a psychology question than a physics question so I can't really give educated answers. But what I can do is give a guess. I think the feeling of spinning the spinner and subsequently the undulations of the spinning movement going through your hand is what really triggers the addiction. You feel nice having a new sensation in your finger. The more kinds of fidget spinners you try, the more you want even more.

This is a near perfect business model. Once you buy a plain one, those with a little extra to spend, can buy the better ones with more mass and better spin movements. I say near perfect because at a certain point, you get tired of it. This is why the trend just suddenly stopped. At some point, you get used to the feeling of the spin. You no longer want any more because you're satisfied. This is why the craze has died down.

Again, this is my observation from seeing the people around me in the Middle-East buying fidget spinners crazily. At the start of the craze, they would spend up to 10 dollars on a spinner. This number soon rose up to 100 dollars+. And at some point, they just stopped buying. Odd. I bet history books will have "the fidget spinner phase" and some poor kid in class will have to do an analysis or an essay.

I bought a heavy steel one about 6 months ago because my girlfriend wanted one, and I got a deal for buying 2 for a discount. It is more of a novelty item like a top or a gyroscope for me, but when my younger friends visit I let them play with it. It is quite heavy so it is neat to feel how it resists rotating while it is spinning due to angular momentum.

lekh2003 said:
This is more of a psychology question than a physics question so I can't really give educated answers. But what I can do is give a guess. I think the feeling of spinning the spinner and subsequently the undulations of the spinning movement going through your hand is what really triggers the addiction. You feel nice having a new sensation in your finger. The more kinds of fidget spinners you try, the more you want even more.

This is a near perfect business model. Once you buy a plain one, those with a little extra to spend, can buy the better ones with more mass and better spin movements. I say near perfect because at a certain point, you get tired of it. This is why the trend just suddenly stopped. At some point, you get used to the feeling of the spin. You no longer want any more because you're satisfied. This is why the craze has died down.

Again, this is my observation from seeing the people around me in the Middle-East buying fidget spinners crazily. At the start of the craze, they would spend up to 10 dollars on a spinner. This number soon rose up to 100 dollars+. And at some point, they just stopped buying. Odd. I bet history books will have "the fidget spinner phase" and some poor kid in class will have to do an analysis or an essay.
Mmm... I see. So the fidget spinner has that nice satisfying feeling so people will buy it until they buy all of the varieties because they are not satisfied until they get them all. That makes sense.

1. Why are fidget spinners considered addictive?

Fidget spinners are considered addictive because they provide a repetitive motion that can be soothing and distracting for individuals with anxiety, ADHD, or other sensory needs. This constant motion and the satisfying feeling of spinning the device can create a sense of calm and focus, leading to a desire to use the spinner frequently.

2. Is there any scientific evidence that fidget spinners are addictive?

There is currently no scientific evidence that specifically supports the idea that fidget spinners are addictive. However, there have been studies on the use of fidget toys for individuals with ADHD and autism, which have shown that these types of toys can have a positive impact on focus and attention.

3. Can anyone become addicted to fidget spinners?

While fidget spinners may have a calming effect for some individuals, not everyone will find them addictive. It ultimately depends on the individual and their specific sensory needs. Some people may find the sensation of spinning the device distracting or even irritating.

4. Are there any negative consequences of using fidget spinners too much?

There are no known negative consequences of using fidget spinners in moderation. However, excessive use may lead to distractions in daily tasks or interactions with others, similar to any other type of distraction or habit. It is important to use fidget spinners in a balanced and mindful manner.

5. How can I tell if I or someone I know is addicted to fidget spinners?

If someone is using fidget spinners to the point where it interferes with their daily life or responsibilities, it may be a sign of addiction. Other signs may include feeling anxious or agitated when the spinner is not available, constantly thinking about using the spinner, or neglecting other activities in favor of using the spinner. It is important to seek professional help if an addiction is suspected.