Future of Physics: Job Opportunities and Salary Expectations in Research

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential career options for someone studying physics and whether or not it is a viable field of study. Some points brought up include the need for a PhD for research positions, the potential for jobs in both the private and public sector, and the importance of having a versatile skill set. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of finding a job in any field, and the importance of being specific and doing research when asking for advice.
orestis
Hi...
I want to study physics but the problem is that i don't know how is it to find a job... I would like work on a lab for research... Is there any future on physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want a research position at a major lab or university you're probably going to have to get a PhD. Jobs in the private sector can also be found, although it'll probably be defense-industry slanted and dominated by engineers.

May I have a say ?

Ok, when I was a kid, I told my mother that "Mommy when I grow up, I will stay with mom only, I will work to help and give mommy money". When I became older, I became lazy and stubborn, I took to smoking, and all the bad habits.
Now, I love jobs of a researcher. It's hard to say how difficult it is to find one; as for several factors, geographical dependence (institutes and companys indifferent areas might have different needs for laborers), labor conditions, my own interests (being dicisive in real life is hard too e.g espcially when you multiple choices: life sucks in that people who don't have a chance always seach for one whereas people who have multiple choices might ignore them all)...Seriously , beside doing my job, I would love to spend some time learning the English language, and some time being a volunteer in, maybe, a children, cancer hospital or anywhere belonging to the Red Cross

what is PhD something like Master? I would like to hear more opinions because I am between medicine and physics...

any ideas?

orestis said:
any ideas?

Does your school have a careers advisor? If so, go see them.

The information you're asking for is so potentially in depth and detailed that it would require days of writing to answer. I suggest you start by looking at this: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792

well i looked at these posts... but they didn't say how easy if to find a job... I asked my physics tutor and he said me that it's really difficult to find a job either in Greece or abroad...I would like to study quantum physics or smth like that and start research do you think that is it possible? Or I have to start thinking of an other job?

orestis said:
but they didn't say how easy if to find a job...

That's because it would be pointless to answer that question. It depends what types of jobs you're looking at, where you're looking and when you're looking. The important thing to think about when choosing your undergraduate degree is the skill-set that it will give you. A physics degree will mean you're good at maths, problem solving, writing technical/scientific reports and probably programming too. If you enjoy those things, then a physics degree is worth a good look. The point is that when you finish your degree you can apply to jobs requiring the skills that you have learned. These number in the thousands of different types. Physics graduates can work in engineering jobs as well, for instance. It isn't as simple as "physics degree = physics job" - the workplace is more complicated than just advertising/only accepting a single type of degree.

Basically, if you get a physics degree and are willing to be flexible about what type of work you do, you won't have a problem getting a graduate level job.

orestis said:
I asked my physics tutor and he said me that it's really difficult to find a job either in Greece or abroad...

Yes, it is. It's difficult to find a job for almost every profession. Physics graduates are extremely employable, you have lots of options but that doesn't equate to a guaranteed job - you still have to work at applications and interviews the same as everybody else.

orestis said:
I would like to study quantum physics or smth like that and start research do you think that is it possible? Or I have to start thinking of an other job?

Of course it's possible to work in research. Quantum mechanics isn't the subject you think it is, so don't worry about specific subject areas just now. Again, you're thinking too narrow. There isn't a single job type that is described as "someone that does research" - research comes into lots of different positions in lots of different environments. There are tens of thousands of industry researchers all over the world working on things from lasers to spacecraft design to LCD tv design. You don't need to work at a university to having a job in research, it's just a different environment.

thanks for your opinions I 'll think about it and I 'll see. If someone else want to add something then do that...

orestis said:
thanks for your opinions I 'll think about it and I 'll see. If someone else want to add something then do that...

What do you actually want to know? Do some research and then come back with any specific questions you have.

i want to know if i would be able to find a job if I study physics. As I saw most of you believe that it 's possible...

orestis said:
i want to know if i would be able to find a job if I study physics. As I saw most of you believe that it 's possible...

Your question isn't nearly specific enough. It's possible to find a job without any degree, nevermind with one.

If you do a physics degree and you want a job in *any* type of role that physicists would be suitable for, then it should be straightforward.

I want to do research... does it have future?

orestis said:
I want to do research... does it have future?

Once again, you are asking too general of a question.

Yes, research will happen quite some time. You usually need a PhD to do it at the university level, though.

phd is extra studies right? how many years?

orestis said:
phd is extra studies right? how many years?

You need to do some research of your own. Physics as a field will be around for hundreds of years, so don't worry about that part.

A PhD is indeed extra studies - as in, you need a first degree (a bachelors, or an undergraduate masters which usually takes 3-5 years depending on where you come from) before you can apply to a PhD programme. In the UK, and lots of other places in Europe, a PhD takes about 3-4 years. In the US, it can take twice as long - the first couple of years of a US programme normally incorporates masters level courses (whereas a bachelors is normally enough in the UK, so little to no classes are taken).

so I need at least 10 years right? and I won't have any salary right?

orestis said:

Depends on where you apply. Most PhD programs in the US last 5-6 years and you get a stipend which you can (kind of) live off of.

Do your own research; most of your questions can be answered by Google.

orestis said:

You won't have an income from the university for undergraduate. PhD positions are normally either funded or come with a TA position that you get paid for. It's minimal money, but enough to get by.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe at all scales, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies.

2. What are the career options for someone with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia or industry, teaching at the high school or college level, or working in fields such as engineering, finance, or data science. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, or materials science.

3. What skills are important for success in physics?

Some important skills for success in physics include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, a solid understanding of mathematics, and the ability to think critically and creatively. Good communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively are also important, as physics often involves teamwork and presenting research findings to others.

4. How can I prepare for a career in physics?

To prepare for a career in physics, it is important to take a variety of science and math courses in high school and college, including physics, chemistry, biology, and calculus. Participating in research experiences, internships, and extracurricular activities related to physics can also be beneficial in gaining practical skills and experience.

5. What are some current areas of research in physics?

Some current areas of research in physics include quantum computing, astrophysics and cosmology, biophysics, and materials science. Other areas of interest include particle physics, nuclear physics, and applied physics, which have numerous practical applications in fields such as medicine, energy, and technology.