1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field axiom for proof

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using only the fi eld axioms, prove that if x,y ε R and x = y then wx = wy.

2. Relevant equations

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FieldAxioms.html

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution to this can be solved within 2 lines or so using the field axiom inverses/multiplications ,however, this is one of a couple of assignment questions and it seems a little too easy? Am I thinking about this question correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2
    It's a very easy problem - there is no "trick" to it. I just did this quickly to check it; I got it using distributivity and additive inverses.

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Notice :

x = y ⇔ x - y = 0

So similarly :

wx = wy
    wx - wy = 0
    w(x-y) = 0
    w0 = 0

So either w=0 or 0=0. Im pretty sure your question should require that w≠0 and then the rest should be obvious.

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4
    Why should you require w≠0? It's still a true statement if you take any w real.

6. Aug 28, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

NO!
    The equation above is what the OP needs to show. You can't start off by assuming what you're trying to prove.

7. Aug 28, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't think it can be proven from the field axioms. Rather, you need axioms for the equality operator. This is usually handled in logic courses.

For now, I think it is enough to say that: x and y are the same number, so wx and wy must be the same number as well.

For a more rigorous approach, you need mathematical logic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook