1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field axioms

1. Jul 8, 2009 #1
    hall,

i need to prove by using the field axioms that:

(-a)(-b)=ab, i think i know how to this but I'm very insecure with using those

axioms cause i want to make sure I'm not using my intuition.

i tried something like: (-a)(-b)=(-1)(a)(-1)b=(-1)(-1)(a)(b)=ab and i guess it's wrong (in the formal way).

could someone show me how this mechanism works in this case?

thanks,

Omri

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2009 #2
    Well the way you presented it, you actually used what you were trying to prove in the last equality.

Can you prove that -(ab) = (-a)(b)? The hint is that you'll need the distributive property. If you can prove this, then (-a)(-b) = ab is the exact same proof.

4. Jul 8, 2009 #3
    so if i undrstood you correctly, i can write
    -a(b+(-b))=0
    -ab+(-a)(-b)=0
    ab-ab+(-a)(-b)=0+ab
    (-a)(-b)=ab
    is that too much stepd for an answer?
    thanks
    Omri

5. Jul 9, 2009 #4
    I think you are implicitly using the fact that (-a)b = -ab, but otherwise that looks fine.

6. Jul 9, 2009 #5
    You will have to cite which axiom you are using at each step.
    You probably have them listed with some numbering, so use that.

7. Jul 9, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You need to understand that, in the field axioms, "-a" does NOT mean (-1)(a). It means "the additive inverse of a". In order to prove that (-a)(-b)= ab, you need to show that "if x+ a= 0 and y+ b= 0, then xy= ab". You might start by looking at (x+a)(x+b)= 0(0)= 0.

(Yes, you can then show that if x+a= 0, x= -1(a) where "-1" is defined as the additive inverse of the multiplicative identity but I was talking about using the axioms.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook